• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what effect does a leaking air comp. have on the engines RPM

If anyone can give a good answer to this thought id be thrilled! I own a deuce and ever since i had it the RPMS at idle were 850.... it was 750, but it was adjusted and idled smoother since. I noticed that i have oil seaping from the air compressor unit and its getting progressivly worse, i.e running the lenght of the engine to the bell housing. As i was saying, the other morning after installing new walmart batteries, I tried to start the truck, and after a few cranks it fires up, but only idles at 750 rpms.... after the truck warmed up and I stopped, the RPMS would read 900. now today, I went for a 40 min ride at 50 mphs, and when i returned home it was now idling at 850/ or 875 . so my question is, Is the compressor causing the R's to jump around like that? or what would be a cause to look into, if its not the compressor.

Thanks for any and all input
jon

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: what effect does a leaking air comp. have on the engines

These trucks are purely mechanical so they will wonder slightly depending on a lot of variables.Fuel quality,Fuel temperature,Air temperature,Air pressure,Altitude,luck.Since there is no computer constantly adjusting things the way the truck runs will change from day to day or minute to minute.

mangus580

I can say... that mine idles alot lower when cold, and as it warms up, it idles higher.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I notice less than 100RPM difference between the time the compressor is 'on' and 'off'.

No way to tell hot/cold, since the thing idles quite different when cold started and after coming to temperature. One thing I have noticed, mayby just psychological.. when I let it warm up to 160 or better before moving out, it seems alot happier than when I move out at 120!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Compressor won't effect RPM except under really bizarre circumstances. Current variation in RPM is more likely related to engine temperature, and maybe fuel temperature.

On REALLY cold days we had a few years back, on start up the starter was barely swinging mine through - and when it finally hit the engine would turning VERY slow - far slower than I've been able to set the idle on one - but once the engine, and lube was warm - the RPMs came up to normal.

From your description - I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks