• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What I Didn't Know...

archmark

Not really knowing what to look for to differentiate between a M109A3 and a M185A3 prior to purchasing my truck, and which the past owner(s) weren't aware of either obviously, as the truck was always titled and advertised as an M109A4, it wasn't until I checked the data plate upon receiving the truck that I discovered what I had was really a M185A3, NOT a M109A3 as titled. It's kinda funny that none of the prior owner(s) had taken a look at the data plate to verify what they were purchasing either.

To educate myself about the differences, I did a little research, comparing data plates and photographs of the two models. From comparing the data plates I found that the M185A3 has a higher empty vehicle weight than the M109A3, which is probably related to the different repair equipment and casework that each truck was equipped with for it's particular job. Visually, the only differences that I can find is that the M185A3 is equipped with an additional 115V shore input receptacle on the driver's side upper portion of the front of the box and a couple of additional 115V outlets located inside the box below the electrical disconnect.

I initially expected trouble when it came to titling the truck in TX because the data plate, which was used by the Tax Office to verify the truck's weight and carry capacity, said one thing and the OH title said something else. Luckily the clerk didn't care one way or the other as the TX title lists the truck as a "Kaiser Van". The insurance lists it as a M109A3, but the VIN matches the data plate, so I'm planning on acting dumb, which I obviously was/am, should the model type ever become an issue.

So, that's the story about my M109A3, uh, M185A3 and I'm sticking to it!!!

IMG_1425.jpgIMG_1424.jpgIMG_1423.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had MV owners in our club, sitting in the box of the M185 at a show, ask me "When are we going to see this M185 of yours?"

The M185 was an electrical shop, so was wired slightly differently and had different appointments inside. Once the benches in the box get stripped out, there isn't much different from an M109, certainly little to see from outside to tell them apart.

I see yours has the low headlights too. Mine is a 1966, so it had low headlights. To me it somehow didn't look right, and I couldn't get used to it, so I flipped them (mine had the mounts that allow it, some don't).

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks