• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What I found today

chuck500cc

Ten minutes from my house. :roll: GSA location in Fort Worth. I also found a couple of tracked vehicles this weeked down by Granbury, Tx. Nice folks at the location. Went there to do a truck inspection adn couldn't believe what I saw. Some of these trucks are almost new.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooo ooo! What auction are the tracked vehicles going to be in???? ;)

A few of those vehicles don't look half bad. Good thin about GSA is that you don't have to put up with any GL BS.

vtdeucedriver

I dont think the Tracks are at GSA, hense the HU-16 and C-119 in the back ground.................if thats the case..........I am there for the Albatross!!! Its a chick magnet!!!

Bill W

"I am there for the Albatross!!! Its a chick magnet!!!"

I think thats why Jimmy Buffet owns one.
That M114 is a rare vehicle

chuck500cc

The M114 and the Albatross are at a aircraft museum, Pate museum. He has some very rare cars inside, including a very rare Mustang GT500. Very cool place to visit and it is free. All the hatches are welded shut on the tracked vehicles.

Chuck XD Fan

chuck500cc

M1075 said:
What is the red tape around the M816? It looks to be in good condition. What are your thoughts on it?
It is in very good condition. No major leaks, all the parts are there. Some of the cables look new/unused. It was running when parked, so I was told. Nothing tells me it wasn't.

Chuck XD Fan

Kwai

The red tape indicates it is on the current auction. The other trucks are awaiting new owners or go on auction sometime in the future.

chuck500cc

The 5 ton dump :oops: is a soft top. I don't know how I would fell ridding around with the top down and the dumper over my head. :lol:

Chuck XD Fan

rmgill

I was going to say when I saw the M114 and the planes in the background, that's the Pate Museum. I've been there. The M114 got welded shut when some kids got in it and rolled it down a hill into the creek that was nearby.

Interesting museum to say the least.

MarineTracs

Elwenil said:
What exactly is the huge tracked vehicle?
That vehicle is an LVTP-5 (Landing Vehicle Tracked Personnel) or Amtrac. That type was indeed used in Vietnam by the USMC. The Corps used them mostly as armored personel carriers, even though they basically were not armored. The bottom of the hull deck, being composed mainly of about 13 fuel cells, yielded spectacular results when running over a mine. Instant inferno. That is why grunts generally rode outside on the top. By the early to mid 70's the Corps had pretty much switched over to the LVTP-7, which is the direct predecessor to the current Corps AAV (Amphibious Assaul Vehicle).
I'd love to have it but buying it (no matter the cost) would be the cheapest part of ownership. Maintenance costs, hauling expenses to and from events/shows, etc would rapidly run through my small budget.

MarineTracs

Elwenil said:
What exactly is the huge tracked vehicle?
By the way, huge is an entirely accurate description.
Weight- 87,780 # (43.89 tons)
Length- 29 ft 8 inches
Width- 11 ft 8-1/2 inches
Height (over MG Cupola)- approximately 10 ft
Can't believe that I used to drive one of those monsters. Yee-haww!! Don't forget to check the hull plugs!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks