• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is good on HZ and volts?

Razerface

Ok, i know we are supposed to run 60 hz,,,but what is the tolerance? How picky am i supposed to be while using it? 58-62? 59-61? 59.5-60.5?

Now on the voltage, i hear circuits are 110, 115, and 120 volts. Over the years it seems to change and i still hear different numbers from people. Where should i run my house on the mep?

002a and 003a - single phase
thanks

Last edited:

jimbo913

If you can run it 59.6- 60.5 then go with that. Mine seems to have a wider range from no load to full load so I set it at 61.5 no load (+2.5%). From what I heard above 60 is better than below and with load it will drop some.

Not sure what unit you have but voltage gauge should have red mark at voltage set points (120v, 208v and 240v)
. I am feeding two legs of 120v for a total of 240v out of the generator and into my panel. My outlets are around 119.8-120.2v on grid power when check with a multi meter.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Get as close to 60Hz under a full load as possible. Run 120 vac on a single circuit or 240 vac on a double breaker circuit when needed. You are talking about single phase power, right. Three phase power is completely different. The controls give you the ability to match your power output to your load needs. Now the folks who are more dialed in, can give you more info in the following posts.....

Rapracing

Like Jimbo913 I set the hz @ 61.5 with no load. Depending on load it will drop a bit from there. Usually around 60 or slightly over with a heavy load. You can always adjust a bit as needed.

120 volts or 240 volts o the voltage.

jamawieb

Like everyone said don't go below 58hertz or above 62, your home electronics will not like it. Voltage can range from 108-122, I have a kill a watt meter on my house and the utility company lets it swing between 108-123.

Razerface

Ok, i will set at 61.5 no load and see what happens. I am preparing to make trial runs with an 002 and an 003 to see which i need to handle my house. I hope the 002 does it since it will use less fuel. My 50 amp extension cord should be here next week,,,then the test is on!

derf

Frequency is tied to engine RPM. 61.5 with no load should get you around 60 with a reasonable load. Most MEPs have a knob to adjust engine RPM. Just get your load running and tweak the knob, if it has one. Voltage is not as critical as frequency. Most things rated for 120V don't care if they get 110-130 Volts. Things are less tolerant of frequency variances. A generator running out of fuel and surging is a bad thing.