• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is it?

cbvet

Anyone ever seen a cargo box like this?
It has a steel " body ", about 7' high inside. Has openings at top of sidewalls covered with expanded metal. Hinged steel door about 3' wide on back. Peaked roof. Body is bolted down to original bed sides, front, & back.
Vinyl cover kinda hides the metal body, with flaps to cover the openings.
Truck came from Drexel Gardens recently. Turbo multi, rebuilt in '88.
Has single wheels on back. Not sure if "properly singled" or if the outside duals are just missing.
Curious.
Eric
CBVET

Attachments

cbvet

I thought paddywagon too, but there are no benches or handcuff attaching points. In fact there is no sign of anything having been attached inside. And the back door is just secured by a small hasp.
No lights inside either.

Front bumper markings:
Pass side- 81TRPCMD
Driver- 215 M110
Can anyone decipher these?

Runs very well, no problems 120 mile trip.
I'm really thinking of making an offer.
How can I tell whether the hubs were flipped & whatever else is required to "single" the rears? Should the spread of the fronts & rears be exactly the same?
Eric
CBVET

emr

it IS a riot wagon ,thats what they were /are called also,did u get it from picatiny, they had a bunch up there, its all aluminum and they are all the same.,and very very cool, its a collectable for sure, not from the factory but were built with a specific purpose in mind , riots, I will call the chief tomorrow and get the rest of the scoop, i asked and heard it only a few months ago when they first showed up but forgot, if i forget again PM me and i will get the full info, ,,i do remember it IS for bringing the good guys in ...but of course in a pinch could carry bad guys out but not specific for that,,randy

cbvet

A riot wagon? Possible I guess. Maybe for hauling riot gear?
Might be aluminum, I just assumed steel. Has a sticker on the windshield from Eglin AFB, but as I said it was a recent GL buy from Drexel Gardens in Indiana.
When I Googled "81st troop command" I got a Guard unit from Edinburgh Indiana. Seems odd an Indiana truck would not have a heater.
Eric
CBVET

dm22630

NO it is not properly singled. They have only removed the outer wheel & the inner wheel is being held on by the budcaps. (note: the extremely long wheel studs w/NO lugnuts on the rear).

I would think that in its current state, you run a high rollover risk. You need to add the additional wheels onto the rear or to run singles you must flip the hubs/remove the budcaps/use lugnuts.

Here is a link of how to flip hubs. It is fairly simple and can be done by one person. ----> http://imageevent.com/cranetruck/m35dualstosinglesconversion

Hope I helped.

Daniel

dm22630

You wont have to. They look fine.

Keep in mind that when you take the studs out, flip the hub, then reinstall them.....if you use a hammer, you WILL mess the threads up! You will have to use a shop press to get the out unharmed. I would get some new wheel studs (left and right hand) to keep on hand in case you mess some up.

Also, you will need to get 12 right hand & 12 left hand FRONT lugnuts. The rear lugnuts have a much bigger hole in the middle of them, since they go overtop of the budcaps.

PM me if you need any help, I just took my rear hub/drum apart last week.

Daniel

emr

Re: RE: What is it?

cbvet said:
A riot wagon? Possible I guess. Maybe for hauling riot gear?
Might be aluminum, I just assumed steel. Has a sticker on the windshield from Eglin AFB, but as I said it was a recent GL buy from Drexel Gardens in Indiana.
When I Googled "81st troop command" I got a Guard unit from Edinburgh Indiana. Seems odd an Indiana truck would not have a heater.
Eric
CBVET
Thats the story i got, it looks exactly like the ones that just went for sale up here, on the inside where we can see the frame, i thought it was one, The Chief here has been around and always knows His stuff, I think its the same as we had here in NJ.

1stDeuce

Hey fellas, look at the hub shot again. Someone already flipped the hubs, so the track should be the same front and rear. (There's no hub center sticking out like pre-flip.)

I think it just looks funny because instead of using front style lug nuts, they reused the bud caps, so they stick out.

Looks like it already has 11.00R20's as well. I'm getting ready to convert to singles... Between flipping the hubs and changing out all the tires, that's a lot of work, and it's already been done!!

Best of luck!
C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: What is it?

The rear hubs are flipped correctly. You just need lug nuts to replace the thimbles

dm22630

1stDeuce said:
Hey fellas, look at the hub shot again. Someone already flipped the hubs, so the track should be the same front and rear. (There's no hub center sticking out like pre-flip.)

I think it just looks funny because instead of using front style lug nuts, they reused the bud caps, so they stick out.

Looks like it already has 11.00R20's as well. I'm getting ready to convert to singles... Between flipping the hubs and changing out all the tires, that's a lot of work, and it's already been done!!

Best of luck!
C

I stand corrected!

1stDeuce is correct.....they just didnt have those front lugs like I mentioned and used the budcaps to hold the wheel on. Looks like you are going to miss out on an afternoon of greasy fun! ;)

Thanks 1stDeuce! :mrgreen:

cbvet

Well, I've bought the truck. Or I guess you could say my wife bought it.

You see my wife works at a large farm, that is owned by another MV collector. Nice guy. When I bought the M813 he loaned me the money & my wife paid it back with a weekly payroll deduction. When he offered me this Deuce, my wife said "Well, the 5 ton is paid off now, I could just continue the deduction". My wife is soooooo cool.

There is a similar one on ebay right now for the same money, but it has no winch.

I'm thinking of putting EOD ( Explosive Ordnance Disposal) markings on it. I don't care much about authenticity, as long as it looks "military".

Any suggestions?

Eric
CBVET

cbvet

Somemedic,
We try not to talk about her sister. She prefers trucks with spark plugs!
I feel so ashamed, but they say confession is good for the soul..................

Eric
CBVET:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks