• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is supposed to go there?

Thor0673

If it's am A2 engine, you won't need the bread box. Looks like a solid Mutt. What does it look like under the skirt...Bottom. ?
I see A2 type shackles on your A1 (on the rear panel). That is odd.. Hmmm. Maybe Hambone can explain that.
Looking at your front bumper, I think you have a USMC jeep. !!!
The bottom is in rough shape. i have to reinforce the frame under the transmisson. It is a USMC Vic. Or at least it was.

Thor0673

Yes, It was me,
Ha. You know what’s funny is almost sent you text about the original question I posted. Decided against it because I didn’t want to bother you. just so you know, I think the project is going great. I’m learning a thing or two. Many of my friends can’t wait to see it finished. My neighbor is a Jeep guy and he is looking at everyday.

hambone

Those are not A2 rear shackles, those are Marine rear shackles and expensive if you have to buy a set, I see you have a Marine front bumper, probably had a fording kit in it's past life. Don't worry about the wiring, a new A2 harness is available for around $125, may have to modify if you are still running the in-tank electric fuel pump, if you have an A2 engine then you probably have a 60amp gen, 60amps didn't have a breadbox. It's missing the Marine hub caps, probably swapped out sometime in the past. Hambone

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we restored our 151a2, we replaced everything made of rubber. Wire harness, grommets, bushings, etc. wiring is critical. Bad wiring can start a fire, leave you on the side of the road or consume your week ends while you chase gremlins. I think it’s some of the best money you can spend... here’s a picture of the finished project. This is a marine version of an M151a2

1007D3E4-F6DF-477D-B74D-9595EEB38AEE.jpeg

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a 1970 M151. It scored a 99.07% at the 2017 MVPA convention. I’m not bragging. We had a lot of help from two very talented friends. I can say that every stencil and sticker is there and in the correct position. My friend, Steve Koenig, knows these 151’s and he did a ton of research. He even had the labels re-produced for the mermite. We even restored the mermite. The radio is period correct and works. When I tell folks here that I am infected with Mthrax, it’s real! Someone help me!!!

nattieleather

The army had a modification kit that would replace the generator and voltage regulator with the 60 amp Alternator. My 151A1 had this modification and the voltage regulator was removed from that location.

papakb

Acudanut, Those A2 shackles you see were a corner protection bracket the Marines added for strength and to provide lifting points further apart than the ones in the bumperettes. They mounted under the bumperettes and then wrapped around the corners of the fenders.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's am A2 engine, you won't need the bread box. Looks like a solid Mutt. What does it look like under the skirt...Bottom. ?
I see A2 type shackles on your A1 (on the rear panel). That is odd.. Hmmm. Maybe Hambone can explain that.
Looking at your front bumper, I think you have a USMC jeep. !!!
The rear shackles you mentioned are correct for USMC A1s (USMC did not buy slicks, but I bet they stole some). I would remove them as USMC A1s are horrible about rusting out under the brackets that held the shackles on the rear. and check/fix any rust issue before putting back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks