• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the hole size on the tongue of an M109A2?

KaiserM109

Does anyone know the diameter of the hole that accepts the pintle eye on an M105A2 trailer? I am going to pickup the trailer in the picture next week and I need to show up with an adapter to put a civilian hitch on the front.

Attachments

KaiserM109

Let me anotate the picture a bit.

I have an adapter that bolts to a 3"x3" tube. It has a pintle eye on one end and a 2" ball socket on the other. I used it on a custom build 'A' frame to tow my Bronco home from Ft. Riley.

To get the trailer home I need to bolt a 3x3 tube with a plate welded to one end to the front of the trailer. Later we will weld it up. I plan to run a bolt through the plate and into the hole in the front of the tongue.

What I need to know is the ID and length of the hole; if it is tapered, what is its smallest diameter?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured my M105A2 as it is assembled. The hole in the frame measured 6" through (front to back). The bolt threads measured 1 1/8" dia. Of couse the hole diameter in the front is bigger because of the taper. Hope this helps.

KaiserM109

doghead,
That is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks for taking the time to go and measure it. I wouldn't have guessed that it is 6" long and I would have show up with a short bolt. I was planning on going with 1" dia, 4" long.

Thanks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, the front surface at the hole opening has a piece of steel about 3/8" thick by 1"x1.5" welded horizontally under the hole. This is to keep the correct lunette eye from spinning over(it can be flipped over to adjust the ring height). How far do you have to tow it home? Maybe just putting it on a trailer would be easier and safer?

KaiserM109

We are hauling it 90 mi., but our flatbed trailer if full of other stuff including the bed from a salvaged M101A1 trailer. Ft. Carson GL has very limited hours, so we may have to take stuff off-post and park it ‘til we can go back for a second load. If we can do it easily and safely, it would be best if we could pull this trailer behind a civilian truck on a 2 1/8” ball.

Eventually this trailer will have a 3”x3” square tube welded on where the lunette used to be. I have a duel ended adapter with a 3” pintle eye on one end and a 2 1/8” ball socket on the other. It bolts to the 3x3 tube.

Can you tell me how far from the center of the hole the edge of the steel bar is? Is it 1’x1.5” or 1”x1.5”? If it is the latter, I think I see it in my photograph.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, the ' was a typo! I corrected my earlier post. It is visible in your picture. The pic with the arrow imposed has the bottom wing of your arrow point right on it. 1"x1.5" is correct.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top edge is 1" below the center of the hole.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the last 3 pics, you could bolt a piece of heavy bar stock(or box tube) under the frame(you could even cut a ring into the end of the bar-stock for a temporary pintle ring) and bolt it under using the existing hole seen from underneath. I can get you measurements for this Idea if you want. Or if you think you have the info and a good way to proceed as you planned, that should work as well.

Attachments

ktm380

If you get out of the locked yard and onto GL's parking lot. They should let you keep it there for a few hours. That way you don't have to limited by the load out hours.

KaiserM109

doghead, That shows it as clearly as need be. That sucker is realy welded together!

I can weld an end onto the 3x3 and put a 1 1/4 hole through it. I can either weld the bolt solid or cut a hole to access the head with a wrench. I can put a 3/8" spacer with a notch for the bar and bolt it all together with a 1 1/8" by 8" bolt. That will get the trailer with no load up to Denver. We will do a more permanent design later.

Thanks everybody for the help. I'll take pic's. If it goes well with the auction today and tomorrow, I will have a couple of other items to add to the load.

ktm380, I will ask the GL folks that question. That would make life a lot easier.

Dieselsmoke

Just pull it out in front of Pikes Peak Community College...there's military stuff broke down there all the time, the state troopers won't know the difference.

KaiserM109

The dust has settled on the Great Trailer Recovery of October. It took 2 days and cost one wheel bearing on a tow vehicle, a ’78 Ford F150. The other tow vehicle, a ’69 Bronco veteran from the Ft. Riley to Denver trip, is having sympathy and is threatening to throw its left rear wheel bearing. The Bronco does that every 2 year, whether I need it to or not. Tomorrow they will both be up on blocks getting an ‘S’ service.

Three of the 4 trailers are tucked in tight in storage and the 4th is still looking for a home. The storage yard doesn’t have enough room.

The pickup time expired on Tuesday for the M101A1 with no wheels, but they agreed to extend it to Thursday. On Wednesday the EUC for the group of 3 M105s came through. On a call to Arizona they promised to invoice them immediately so we made up plans for a Thursday recovery. Our thinking was that we would put the 101 in the bed of the non-towable M105 and one of the towable 105s on the back. I would tow the 4th trailer behind the Bronco.

While on Interstate 25 on the way to Colorado Springs, I called Arizona to check on the invoice and found out that they had lost my credit card info and hadn’t done it yet. It stands to reason; they lost my driver’s license and proof of residence on the EUCs, why not the invoice info too. I got the service rep on the phone who, by now, recognized my voice, and explained the situation, putting emphasis on the scrap manager wanting the M101 out of his yard. He took the info down and promised to get it sorted out.

We arrived at Ft. Carson and my son didn’t have his driver’s license. They wouldn’t let him on post, so he and the dog went for a long walk in Colorado Springs. We got to GL and no invoices. Another call to Arizona, asked for my favorite service rep and got another promise that it would be fixed. Time went by, another call to Arizona and he told me he had good news, the invoices should be there. We went back into the GL office and were informed that their lunch hour had just started; come back in 50 minutes. At least we had gotten to the next step.

The invoices had arrived, so we went to load trailers. Number 1 is the M105 without the lunette that I was asking about. After loading it, it was obvious that our flatbed wasn’t going to take the weight of 2 M105s and an M101, so the plans changed.

Number 2 was the M101 in the scrap yard. We had to weigh through with one M105 on and weigh out with the M105 and M101 on. This was the complete load for the flatbed. We would have to leave a towable trailer behind and make another trip.

Back to the main yard with the Bronco. After untangling the trailers by lifting the one next to mine out with a forklift, we got it out in the middle of the yard and tried to hook it up to the Bronco. History repeated itself. In Ft. Riley I had to grind down the pintle eye on the back of the deuce I was picking up in order to tow the Bronco. At Ft. Carson the lunette would not go down between the ball and the back of the hook. Finally after judiciously applying a 3# hammer, it went down. ‘ Gonna be hell getting it unhooked. Adding trailer lights and we were ready for the first run.

In the outskirts of Colorado Springs we realized that the other vehicle was not following us anymore so we dug out our cell phone and found out that he had been trying to call us. He said that he had blown his clutch. We caught the next exit and went back. Just before we got back on I-25 we dropped the M105 at the side of the onramp. It was hell getting it unhooked!

We arrived at the side of the dead vehicle and learned that he already had help in the form of a Ford Powerstroke on its way from Denver. Good thing, I’m not sure what we would have done with the Bronco; the tongue weight alone would kill it. We went back around on the I-25 merry-go-round and picked up the M105. As we passed Carl at the side of the road we dropped of a 4x4 magazine for his reading pleasure and went on.

We unloaded our M105 in the storage yard and put up the sides, bows and top and met them as they came in with the flatbed with trailers 1 and 2. We unloaded them and they went back with the empty flatbed for the F150. It turned out to be a spun wheel bearing that let the axle loose.

The next day went pretty well. I ground a bit off of the pintle hook and this time the process went smoothly. By now my son, Conor, and I are getting pretty good and hooking up an M105. Early on we heard a noise from the back that we couldn’t identify. By the time we were going through Denver at rush hour we had pretty much decided that it was a wheel bearing (#5 for this Bronco in the past 10 years). Ball bearings on a back axle, One of Ford’s better ideas!!

We got trailer #4 assembled and tucked in with #3 and called it a day.

Attachments

KaiserM109

Whatcha gonna do with 4 cargo trailers?
The scrap 101 is going to be cut down and have 5 on 5 1/2 bolt wheels (old Jeep and Ford 4x4) put under it and become a super M100 for towing behind my buddy's '58 Jeep wagon. This is his fee for hauling the 2 non-towable trailers.

The M105 w/o the lunette is going to be lightened and have 8 lub wheels put under it for towing behind my '83 J20 Jeep pickup. The excess parts, except wheels and tires, will be available.

One of the complete M105s will be cleaned up and kept original for towing behind my deuce.

One of the complete M105s will be cleaned up and kept original and put up for sale. I would entertain offers right now. The only thing wrong with it is some dings and whacks on the upper rim. The top is brand new and the sides and rails are perfect. Watch the classified ads.

I started out with the 3 M105s and had planned to cut down one of the complete trailers to become the super M100 when the scrap M101A1 came up for auction. That is why I have one extra.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks