• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the trick to getting the rear axel shaft back in?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today I replaced a leaky rear wheel brake cylinder.
In the process you have to remove the axle shaft.
All the new seals, bearing and cork went together pretty easily, just a little heavy.
But when I went to load the axle shaft back in, I am about 4-5 inches shy of getting a seal. I tried pivoting on a small spacer without any luck. twisting it clockwise and counter clockwise. but no engaging.

The TM TM 9-2320-260-20 says:
Position new gasket (1) on axle shaft (3) and install axle shaft (3) on axle housing (2) with ten new lockwashers (4) and screws (5).

What is the trick to getting this to engage?
Maybe counter balance the weight of the shaft?
It went right back together on my school bus.

Thanx in advance.

Tony

RE: What is the trick to getting the rear axel shaft back in

:ditto: plus its push down a little on the outside drive flange cause the shaft is more then likely on the bottom of the spiders and is hitting. do that while turning it left and right. it will go in. just gotta line the splines up

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey Guys,
Thanx for the how to help.
I hoped thiat was all that was needed.
I just didn't want to spend to much time or ruin something, because I didn't speak up and ask a question.

So on/in the outside drive flange there is a hole in the center.
It doesn't look to be tapped, like for a handle or mounting point.
Is that a just a dimple for a live center used during machining?

Also how do the big guys move that heavy hub around, other than brute force?
Will a transmission jack hold the weight if I were to attach an L bracket to the bottom two lug studs?
Cause now that I have done the necessary one I want to do them all.

Thanx

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

A close fitting dowel in one of the bolt holes can be used to leverage up the end of the axle to line it up with the splines. That an rotating should get you in. Easiest way to do the service is with a tire dolly. Basically you just leave the tires bolted to the drum and this jack picks up all of it and you can slide it right off. Your L bracket on a tranny jack will work too. This is the exact reason I only have deuces. Can't muscle a 5 ton drum around any more.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is a reason (literal) for calling this stuff "heavy duty mechanics"!

Lee in Alaska

dm22630

Just so you know now.....

The 8 holes on the axle & the 8 holes on the hub WILL NOT line up when you put it back together. You will need to jack the other side up off of the ground to release the tension, and then you will be able to spin it by hand in order to line it up.

2cents

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dm22630 said:
Just so you know now.....The 8 holes on the axle & the 8 holes on the hub WILL NOT line up when you put it back together. You will need to jack the other side up off of the ground to release the tension, and then you will be able to spin it by hand in order to line it up.2cents
I believe you just spin the hub you were working on till the holes matched if you only were working on one side.
What I do is put my strong hand fingers on the top of the axle flange griping the inside and place the the heal of my other hand on the outside bottom and pull the top as you push the bottom to lift the axle end up. Try this with the really big rears and you will find out how strong your fingers are.

dm22630

Floridianson said:
I believe you just spin the hub you were working on till the holes matched if you only were working on one side.
What I do is put my strong hand fingers on the top of the axle flange griping the inside and place the the heal of my other hand on the outside bottom and pull the top as you push the bottom to lift the axle end up. Try this with the really big rears and you will find out how strong your fingers are.

Good luck with that.

When the axle is pulled, a small amount of tension is released & the holes will be off by a 1/2 inch or so. Unless you lift the other side completely off the ground....that shaft will not turn.

Maddawg308 posted a step-by-step with photos on how to do this ---> http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25271

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see where the confusion is Maddawg just replaced the gasket and did not jack up his wheel and thus here in lies. In this case Tony said he replaced the wheel cyl. so I assumed he had the wheel off and axle jacked up and supported. In Maddawg case he could have jacked up the side he was working on and just turned the drum/wheel.

dm22630

Floridianson said:
I see where the confusion is Maddawg just replaced the gasket and did not jack up his wheel and thus here in lies. In this case he said he replaced the wheel cyl. so I assumed he had the wheel off and axle jacked up and supported. In Maddawg case he could have jacked up the side he was working on and just turned the drum/wheel.
[thumbzup]

So the moral of this story is....

One side has to be off the ground in order the spin the axle OR hub to get it to line up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks