• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this M44 series truck?

mcj115

I am looking at this 1952 Studebaker M44 variant, it is a hard cab and has both front and rear winches. The rear bed has been removed.

Any clues what model truck this was? I like the idea of front and rear winches. Probably I'd just buy a standard M35 bed and cut it out for the winch.

The truck runs and drives. Gas motor. Any idea on a fair value. The fellow is asking $2200, I'll try to bargin :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the G-742 (Reo Style) deuces fall into this category. The M44 and subsequently the M44A2 is the series of the trucks. Without some data it woull be most difficult to determine the original origin and body just from the pic. That rear winch is far from stock but probaby useful

lacoda56

Hard to put a price on it, but if the body is fairly straight and rust free, and you don't mind the add on rear winch, I'd say around $1000 would be top dollar. I was at an auction that had 30 to 40 of these trucks. They had been used on a large potato farm, were in rough shape, but all ran. The auctioneer had a hard time getting 4 to 6 hundred each. Top speed with the fifth gear direct trans is about 45 mph, so highway driving is kinda out of the picture. They are fun trucks to play with but not the same as the multifuel A2. Again, this is just my two cents worth and ya gotta remember I'm cheap. [Scrooge and me were drinkin' buddies, back in the day.]
Ron

mcj115

TacticalTruck said:
Just curious, is that the truck that was in WV in the Valley Trader? Price is a bit high for a gasser.
Jeff
Ya hit the nail on the head. I am having second thoughts at this point.

TacticalTruck

The winches, tires and aftermarket hard top make it worth $1500 anyway but you may want to hold out for a multifuel. I can set you up with a bed if you decide to make him an offer.
Jeff

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The winch is from a V-17A/MTQ telephone maintenance truck, or given the dual rear wheels, it could be from the super-rare M765 telephone maintenance truck. If either of these is the case, the outer rear portion of the cab door is probably banged up. More likely it was a M764 pole setter truck, and if that is the case the reinforcing plates extending upwards from the tandems will extend all the way to the end of the frame, unlike a regular M45 chassis where they extend equally toward the front and rear of the truck, ending well before the rear of the frame. However, both the M764 and M765 are Multifuel. Sure wish I knew where the V-17A/MTQ body went, I need some parts for mine.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

Towman2277

The price is kinda steep for a gasser, but who knows? Do some dealing, and you may get it in the price range that makes you feel comfortable about the deal. That rear winch, I need one! They come in handy!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
By the way, this winch is nowhere near as powerful as it looks, and even self-recovery would be taxing. It is designed to lift telephone poles, and the extension on the passenger's side is to attach a small collapsible cable reel for stringing telephone lines.

Regards,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks