• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what keys???

Samyguy

I have an 86 CUCV, and I want to change the door an ing. key, and keep it a 1 key truck . The advance/oreily parts guys(?) say I have use a square ing. key an a round door key.

Anybody know the number for a set up like we have now???

thanks

OL AG '89

I currently have a one truck key, because I don't have a door key....
I think there is a post somewhere that gives the cut code for the igniton key, but I don't recall the two keys being the same.....
I don't ever remember locking the thing when we had them in the motorpool and if we were in the field we definetely never locked them, just applied the security chain to steering wheel and radios....
If you find the door key code post it, am curious if its the same for all trucks...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM for the most part kept the square keys as ignition keys and the round ones as door keys. The CUCV was the only exception I'm aware of and I'm sure it was because of the single hey, keyed alike requirement of the DOD.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCVs use a "B" blank, code 73Y2. If you want to change the key(s) yet retain the single key system, take your door and ignition locks to a GM dealer and have them re-key them.
GM police package sedans were the same way, a single key for the door & ignition.

Last edited:

jimm1009

It was and is a B key but if you ever want to add an electric tailgate you will need to move up to a K key or so.
It is still the round key commonly called the trunk key or door key but with a slightly different groove down the sides.
You can get a new set of locks and have them all rekeyed or you could probably have yours rekeyed too if they are not worn too badly.
When I purchased a new tailgate lock I used it as the master and had a new ignition and two new door locks keyed to match the tailgate lock.
One key still fits all and it is the round key.

jimm1009

jimm1009

Check out a quality old fashioned locksmith too just for comparision. They might surprise you in price if you have everything removed.

I purchased my ignigition and door locks at Pep Boys except and the tailgate lock came from the local Chevy dealer.

LMC Truck may also have these locks now days too.

Good luck,
jimm1009