• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What makes the oil dirty

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since there is an ongoing discussion on how to improve the multifuel engine oil filtering, why not open the board for your opinions on what makes the oil dirty in the first place.

How does the air filter effect the particle count in the oil, how does the use of the engine (driving vs idling ) effect the amount of soot, how does the engine op temp effect the amount of water in the oil etc.

Let's hear your expert opinions and advise.

Westech

CPL
carbin made during the combustion proses makes the oil black along with small amounts of dirt will always get past a air fliter of any kind. its just the size of the dirt that will effect the engine. 5 microns or less is the norm for filtering of any kind. most engines will use the most oil at the RPM the peak toque is made. In the deuce that is about the same RPM most of us are crusing around at. water in the oil... the cooler the oil the more water it will hold, everytime you start a diesel its a good idea to let it warm all the way up to opp temp. that will insure the oil gets about 212* and the water will "boil" off. Diesels also create a asid that will eat the insides of the motor so when you get it to opp temp it will "burn off" the asid and "boil" out the water.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other gauges, including a (temporary) DVM attached to the air intake to measure intake manifold air temp.
The filter canister vacuum image also shows the exhaust brake back pressure gauge just below it.

Attachments

devilman96

Im not showing off!!! I get told mine looks like I shop in the ethnic isles too much... His looks like a NASA experiment from the 1970's gone wrong... and yours... well... They make this product called OSPHO... Comes in a bottle... Not to expensive... Shall I ship you some? LMAO!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks