• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model transfer case am I?

cucvrus

I have this transfer case in my collection for the past 20 years. I never got rid of it because I always thought it was an NP 205. I have pictures of it. Can someone identify it from pictures? I had a 1975 K10 pickup that had a 350 4 bolt main 4 bbl carb. It was a Custom 10 and as plain as you could get. 3 speed on the column and no radio. It was dark green and a good running and working truck. It had a 12 bolt rear and was posi-traction with a locker kit up front. It went anywhere. It rusted to pieces before it was 3 years old. It had new front fenders put on it under warranty when it was 18 months old. Then the bedsides and tailgate were replaced at 3 years. that was it. GM said you are on your own. The replacement body parts did not last any longer. Anyway I will attach the pictures007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg. Oh no the truck rolled over.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model MV was this from?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an NP205 with 10 spline input. Bolts right up to the SM465 as long as you have the correct adapter and sleeve. Had this exact trans and transfer in a 77K10

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds interesting, wish you had a picture.

cucvrus

It was nothing fancy. It was just a Custom 10 with a regular cab and an 8FT bed. Ran well and went anywhere. But it rusted to pieces right before my eyes.

MarcusOReallyus

... it rusted to pieces right before my eyes.
I dimly recall reading about a class-action lawsuit due to that issue. I think they had a run that just went from new to rustbucket in record time, and the replacement parts did the same. Bad steel, I guess.

cucvrus

008.jpg006.jpgI had my son crawl in the truck and split the transfer case from the 3 speed transmission. It is a NP205 with a 10 spline input shaft. I will list it for sale in the classifieds if I am allowed to. I also have an adapter from an M1028A1 that I switched to an NP208 transfer case because the NP 205 was missing from the truck when I bought it 15 years ago. It is the adapter for a TH400 to the NP205012.jpg009.jpg.And yes some GI got a little excited and broke 2 ears from the adapter. I don't think it will matter with some flat washers and a good welder.

richingalveston

looks like the correct adapter. You could use that case for any 205 config you want since I believe it is the small main bearing. You can change the input shaft to the one you need for your tranny and increase the bearing size to the large bearing if you needed to use the 32 spline, or magnum shaft if you put a magnum in front of it.

I did this with my small bearing 205 and have had no issues with the rebuild

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks