• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil should I use? A link to some seriously good research on the subject.

MarcusOReallyus

I just found this thread on a Jeep Cherokee forum. The guy has done some serious research. He's got charts, graphs, pictures, and no fanboyism.

It's an excellent primer on engine oils. There's more to it than you thought!

Although his conclusions are based on what's best for the Jeep 4.0 engine, the information is applicable to diesels.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rot...hair-oil-foot-ointment-salad-dressing-188168/

Best thing aboiut that thread? So far, no Amsoil dealers! :D

AECS

Wow, that was a great thread. Thanks for sharing it. I really liked the oil analysis that he had, found the place online, and it is reasonable, 25 bucks for an analysis. I think I am going to try it at my next oil change.

Last edited:

evldoer

Great article, well worth the time to read. This is my favorite quote from it:

"Castrol GTX 5w30 and Valvoline Premium 5w30 I would run only in a lawn mower I hated."

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very good read. +1 for Shell Rotella

Favorite Quote:
"A lot has changed since the 1980s. For example, hair spray is no longer part of a healthy breakfast, and people developed a sense of fashion."

MarcusOReallyus

Great article, well worth the time to read. This is my favorite quote from it:

"Castrol GTX 5w30 and Valvoline Premium 5w30 I would run only in a lawn mower I hated."
:D

Yeah, I liked that line, too.

The author of the thread is one of the very knowledgeable people over there. What he says carries weight. Same with tjwalker and ccken (though he has a bit of an attitude problem at times).

AMGeneral

I've been using Shell Rotella for years in almost everything,even the gasser trucks I have owned.

I buy it from Sams Club in 55 gallon drums,lasts me about 2 years worth of oil changes.

barefootin

Years back the garage I did dyno runs at recommended this oil called Mobil 1 Synthetic and how much better it was than my beloved Rotella T6. He gave me a great price on 5w40, so I did an oil change before my next run. By the second pull my oil pressure was below 10psi at idle (when I normally would carry 20+ by that point), my engine didn't sound like itself so I shut the car down. I ran to get some Rotella, drained out the amber water like substance called M1 and got my hot oil pressure back!! I posted my experience on the site for that particular addiction to find others had a similar experience. The only ones on there still swearing by M1, don't have oil pressure gauges in their cars. I'm pretty confident that my normal 3 pulls that day would have done serious engine or turbo damage. Rotella also got my Chevy 5.7L in my truck to over 321K miles with no build up in the valve covers/pan and a nice dark amber when it comes out at change time. Although she leaks like a sieve, valve seal smoke at start up is the only sign of the mileage.