• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should the brake pedal feel like?

Ned81

1998 m1078
I dont have much experience with air brakes. The truck seems to stop ok but I am able to push the pedal to the floor if I push hard enough. Is that normal?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned81

It feels “normal” when regular stopping but jamming the brakes feels no more firm. And I can push it to the floor. I know it a lot of weight so it doesn’t stop like a car but going to the floor seems odd.
No air leaking when using the brakes.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dad part of me just can’t resist saying it feels like metal with a bit of rubber on the top of it. But I generally just use my booted foot….. and it doesn’t feel much.

I’ll just show myself out now….

Ned81

Where should I begin trouble shooting the pedal going to the floor?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your description includes some challenges. First, no air leaks, yet the pedal goes to the floor. That should mean that full system air pressure has been proportionally applied to the braking system in both front and rear circuits as you increased foot pedal pressure. Yet you describe no increase in pressure to push the pedal to the floor. What is the air pressure showing on both the dash gauges? What does the gauge pressure do as you hold down the pedal?

To get the 'to floor' symptom either system pressure going into the treadle valve is low, or there is a leak beyond the treadle. A leak at the treadle is going to be noticable. It is right next to you. A leak, or leaks at the brakes could be masked by engine noise. Have you had someone listen while the pedal is pressed? A leaky diaphragm in each circuit would give your symptoms. Or a leaky shuttle valve in front or rear circuits, or a combination.

I do not think you have a treadle valve problem.

What air pressures are you seeing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks