• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What size shocks for lifted M1008

ssgtwright-usmc

The M1008 that I own had had a four inch body lift added to it before I bought the vehicle.
What size shocks should I be looking for? Looks like my M1008 still has the original springs and Im guessing the springs by themselfs gives the truck a 4 inch lift, then the 4 inch body lift should give me a total of 8 inches.
So, what size shocks should I be looking for and also, who makes the best brand for the money????

AJMBLAZER

I'm confused...you say it has a 4" BODY LIFT, stock springs, and the springs have 4" of lift?

We need pictures of some of your body mounts and also the springs.

Are the front springs flat or slightly down at the ends? Is there a block between the rear axle and the springs?

Sounds to me like you have a stock suspension and maybe a body lift. No one makes a 4" body lift as anything beyond 3" is considered pretty universally to be unsafe so I'd bet if you have one it's a 3" or someone rednecked up a 4" body lift.

Best shocks for the money are Bilsteins. Best shocks for us poor people with trucks are Rough Country Nitro 9000's.

ssgtwright-usmc

Original springs, has a four inch block in back and many drop brackets under the frame lowering the swing bar, transmission brackets and ect.
It may be 3 inches but when I measured the blockes in back it measured 4"

AJMBLAZER

We need pictures of all of this stuff.

Did you buy it from the government or a civilian?

Just so you know a body lift wouldn't affect the shocks at all. They're mounted to the frame and the axles so the body moving away wouldn't affect them other than maybe more room to access the frame mounts.

AJMBLAZER

Get pictures and we can give you a better idea of what is going on with the suspension and body lift.

Big tires shouldn't kill the steering system. If it's bad it was already going.

ultim8gamr

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Original springs, has a four inch block in back
this sounds like a suspension lift with blocks in the rear.

ssgtwright-usmc said:
and many drop brackets under the frame lowering the swing bar, transmission brackets and ect.
a body lift would not require the transmission to be lowered or the transfercase to be clocked down. body lift is all above the frame so none of these driveline angles change. sway bar oly has to be dropped if the distance between the axle and framerails has increased, indicating a suspension lift.

as for what kind of shocks, i ran the rancho shocks mentioned above for my 4" lift

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: What size shocks for lifted M1008

ultim8gamr said:
as for what kind of shocks, i ran the rancho shocks mentioned above for my 4" lift
Rough Country? Nobody mentioned Rancho's overpriced rebadged junk.

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: Re: RE: What size shocks for lifted M1008

That is what it is, a suspension lift with rear blocks.
The blocks are 4" so Im trying to order the right size shocks that will fit the truck.

puppy

Rough Country Part #'s for 4" lift

Hydro:
F - 8106
R - 8112

Nitro:
F - 9106
R - 9112

Note: These rear shocks(or any others) may reguire you to relocate the lower rear shock mounts due to the increased diameter of the aftermarket shock tubes.

AJMBLAZER

Shouldn't on one of these trucks. The factory shocks are fairly big as it was. I've never had to at least.

ssgtwright-usmc

Think I will go with tough country 9000 series.
4 Shocks, steering stabilizer and 5 boots for $191.25 but that does not include shipping.
This is from their website directly!
Thanks again

AJMBLAZER

That's not the greatest price.
Try JCWhitney for the Rough Country 9000 series. Sometimes they have sales on shocks and othertimes they just have a % off and it knocks down the price a good bit.

If you're paying for the shock boots just forget it. Waste of money. I don't even run them.

ssgtwright-usmc

I was told that boots can do more harm then good esp... where humidity is bad.
They tend to collect dust and crud which collects on the piston shaft and will cause internal damage.

Croatan_Kid

Shocks are the only things I will buy from 4 Wheel Parts, they have some good deals. You can get 4 shocks and a stabilizer shipped to you for about $160.

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: What size shocks for lifted M1008

ssgtwright-usmc said:
I was told that boots can do more harm then good esp... where humidity is bad.
They tend to collect dust and crud which collects on the piston shaft and will cause internal damage.
You heard right. I haven't run shock boots on any of my vehicles in years unless they came with the metal ones. Even been tempted to cut those off.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Re: RE: What size shocks for lifted M1008

AJMBLAZER said:
Shouldn't on one of these trucks. The factory shocks are fairly big as it was. I've never had to at least.
I had that issue on my trucks rear axle. Was a 6" lift block though so more rotation of the axle. but i had to install the hydro (came with kit) shocks upside-down to get them to fit.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What size shocks for lifted M1008

Huh.

Last 6" I did was all spring and we never had to dink with it other than put them on. Wasn't a Superlift lift though.