• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What solvent to clean tires?

amanco

I got my Michelin 11.00-16 XL's in and they look great (Not mounted yet, sorry). Ok, now I have a question. :?: These tires are used and have a bit of CARC oversparay on them. What solvent can I use to clean it off and not damage the rubber? After it is done is there some thing I can apply to treat the rubber to protect it? I am sure solvent will be harsh to the surface of the tire, right? Maybe I am wrong?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, that's a tough one Keith. Seeing that CARC is what it is and is resistant to most solvents when dry, you may have to result to a coarse 3M pad and elbow grease. I would think that any solvent tough enough to get CARC off would damage the tires. It may not be evident at first, but I imagine you would experience premature checking and cracking of the sidewall around the bead. Soapy water should help the sanding pad cut the paint a little quicker, prevent clogging of the fiber and keep the CARC dust out of the air.

CGarbee

If you do hit them with a pressure washer, use one with a lower pressure rating or stand a bit further back... You can damage the sidewall with excessive force from a pressure washer that may not be obvious till you have been on the road for a while...

There is a warning about this both in the Michelin and Goodyear manuals... Most likely in the TRA Yearbook as well...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake fluid? I used a wire brush and soap on some of mine. The CARC doesn't stick real well to rubber anyway.

D-Man

CGarbee is right. If you don't have a pressure washer, take it to a truck stop wash and have them use the hot water line. It uses a lower pressure nozzle and works great to remove the overspray! They charged me about $30 to clean up some overspray on a couple of the 14.00 20's - well worth the time I saved.

littlebob

The Purple Power works very good on my civvy tires, but I doubt that it would do anything to the CARC. I had hell getting Paint stripper to do work on the CARC and I'm sure it would destroy the rubber. Maybe a fine wire brush wheel would work in a small test area and then you could proceed if it was succesful.
Please let us know what works.
littlebob

deuceman51

I used paint stripper on my tires. It bubbles the paint and as soon as it starts to soften it I use a steel brush or steel wool to scrape it off. I have water handy and then douse the areas in water to neutralize the stripper. I wipe off with a towel and thats it. My tires had white paint on them and it cleaned them up nice and make them look newer. I didn't let the stripper sit too long so it didn't really eat any rubber on the sidewalls. That was done over 8 months ago and the tires are fine and still aired up with no problems.

amanco

Well, All I got to say is thank God I didn't have far to go. That was one heck of a down pour. Yes my right foot was wet. I installed the new rubber windshield seals yesterday afternoon. Now to track down some 11.00 - 16 tubes and flaps.