• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What things are likely to fail in the field?

edpdx

I, as some of you know by now, have been fighting starter issues since buying my first M1009 Blazer- to be honest it runs well most of the time; but I squeeze my buns every time I turn the key.

I have made up a short list of things to carry for field expedient repairs excluding tools and consumable like oil or Diesel treatment, Hi-Lift, etc,.

What I'd like to know is what kinds of things do you all plan for- which things get checked and re-checked. What spares do you carry in to the field. I have an extra Starter, Alternator and Starter relay (under dash one). What else can you recommend taking afield? Hmmmmmm?

Cucvnut

there are tons of threads on this. but i would carry pretty much what ever you think you need for general issues and specific ones that are for the cucv known issues.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

Hoses. Belts. Starter. Fuel pump.

Do the DogHead mod - then you won't kill a starter when the starter relay goes. You can start your truck without a starter relay - just jump the pins in the starter relay holder (I've been doing that for months since the relay died and I haven't got around to doing the DogHead mod yet).

You need a working starter to start the truck.. no two ways around that.

I have a switchable electric inline fuel pump after my factory mechanical fuel pump and before the filter - just in case (it's never on unless I'm changing the filter).

Glowplugs. Do the resistor bypass (or if you live in COLD weather 9 months in a year like me and can't afford to drain only one of your 12 volt batteries with glowplugs before the ever-critical engine cranking begins - add an extra 12 volt deep-cycle battery in the back with a battery isolater and run the glowplugs off it. I will also use that battery to run my exterior lighting and inverter when the truck is parked without draining my starting batteries.) This makes the glowplugs much more reliable (cause they don't ALL go at once).

Search around, there is LOTS more to go wrong. Those just come to mind.

ryan77

I would keep the things you cant get at a Autozone or Oreillys etc! Like a spare 24 volt starter and Alternator. You can limp these trucks home! I drove from Atlanta to Chicago on no alternators!

Matt65

In mine you will find:
Spare wheel and tire, fuel, fuel filter, starter, wire, jumper cables, lots of tools, Multi Meter, jack, stands, 4x6 wood blocks, chain, belts. Spare IP at home. That's all I can recall now.

You can't plan for everthing. Reading a lot here and in the TMs will prepare you for anything that may happen. Having the knowledge of how is more important to me than having every part on hand. Even though I wish I had a spare parts truck! :thumbup:

hunderliggur

In mine you will find:
Spare IP at home. :thumbup:
[thumbzup]

Good idea. The IP, starter, and alternator may be things I want to "stock" at home. Now if I box them and label them in the garage, the better half or a friend could possibly overnight them to me almost anywhere in the lower 48. It would save cobbling some junk to get it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks