• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to check when buying a CUCV?

Heynow999

I am going tommorrow to look at a 1990 chevy 3500 crew cab ex-military vehicle. I believe it was a base truck and uses a 12v system, 6.2l. It is privately owned now and I am looking at buying it. It is not insured, so he says we can start it and drive it down the street a bit, but no real road test. I also imagine I can look at the engine oil and tranny oil. So what should I look for when I go tommorrow? Any tips, tricks, or ideas?

Thanks, new here.

Peter

m4A1

It is the civi model not the 83'-87' cucv. Just do your do dilligence and make sure you ask lots of questions.

airmech3839

Yeah sounds like civi. No CUCV is crew except home modify like a stretch! Just ask questions and look it over good. If you arent mechanically inclined then try and take someone who is.

:-D

Chief_919

I get suspicious if the oil is "too clean", a 6.2 will make the oil look filthy fast. Real clean looking oil means it was just changed, possibly to hide something.

Tell him you want to see a cold start and not to run it before you arrive. A truck already running or warmed up might be hiding starting problems.

Look at the intake for "ether tracks" where ether has been sprayed then evaporated. Bad sign.

303Lithgow

If you have proof of insurance then when you drive it is covered even though he doesn't have coverage. Even if he did and you had an accident it would go through your insurance company first.

I wouldn't concider buying anything unless I could take it at highway speeds.