• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tool / How to loosen VRV bolts?

generalgeneric

What tool / How to loosen throttle vac valve bolt?

I have 1 1984 M1008 & am in the middle of replacing a dead vacuum pump to fix hard shifting.

I have read manual and this forum to learn about the procedure for adjusting the throttle vacuum regulator valve on the left side of the IP. My question is how do you get at rear bolt on the VRV to loosen it? I mean what tool does one use to get in there? It seems a very tight fit and I have been unable to find the right shape/style wrench to loosen it. It is buried under the intake manifold. After struggling to loosen the front nut, I learned that it is 11 mm. Do you use a flex drive extension on a socket and try to get around & under intake manifold?

The adjustment procedures are very clear but I have not seen mentioned what tool / how you get to that back bolt. My throttle vac valve is adjusted all the way forward as some on this forum have mentioned the army defaulted to for harder shifts. There is probably a simple answer from someone who has done this.

Last edited:

generalgeneric

Thanks. I am just trying to loosen the back bolt to adjust the throttle vacuum valve. I can't seem to get a socket to go under intake and still line up. I have seen pics on this forum of a closed end wrench used to get to that rear bolt from the front but the plastic of the valve body seems to get in the way for me. I will work some more at it. I think the bolt is 11 mm but I seem to have more luck with a 7/16". Here is the link to the adjustment procedure thread with the pic i mentioned: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50568-cucv-throttle-vacuum-valve-adjustment.html

Barrman

1/4" drive flex joint socket with an extension as mentioned above. 11MM is the same as 7/16" when it comes to wrench sizes. You will probably have better luck looking for a small standard size specialty tool is why I mention that.