• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of camo is this?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it was officially called MERDC camo pattern, standard from 1974 until the early 1980s, when it was replaced with the current 3-color camo pattern.

N1265

Here is picture of another SS members truck, That can be found in the " Photo Gallery "

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....&fid=300&viewkey=&template=slideshow&iid=2196

As Maddawg stated , It is a four color pattern that the U.S. used before going with the 3- color NATO patern in the '80s.

you have the " winter " pattern, more info can be found on this at Olive-Drab.com

If you look at my avtar you will see the "summer" pattern of this on my M880....

Pawnshop

Since this truck is reportedly a 1971 and still has '70's camo is it possible this truck has not been depot refurbed? My 1970 M35A2 was CARC'd in 1992 when it was rebuit.

nattieleather

If it was owned by a National Guard unit there is a good chance that it got cammoed and then never updated to the 3 color Nato camo. That pattern is sometime also refered to as the 4 color. 45% color 1 45% color 2. 5% color 3. and 5% color 4 (black) I personally prefer the 4 color cammo over the 3 color..but that's just me.

Pawnshop

nattieleather said:
If it was owned by a National Guard unit there is a good chance that it got cammoed and then never updated to the 3 color Nato camo. That pattern is sometime also refered to as the 4 color. 45% color 1 45% color 2. 5% color 3. and 5% color 4 (black) I personally prefer the 4 color cammo over the 3 color..but that's just me.
Yes, I am diggin it myself. I have no plans to paint over it, freshen it up a bit, but not replace it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am attaching a few pics of a 4 color M109A3 that I own. I agree, when it is clean, I prefer the 4 color camo over the later 3 color camo scheme. With that said, it is almost impossible to find really clean examples of the 4 color trucks because they most often have been repainted with the 3 color scheme or have been touched up numerous times. The whole reason I bought this particular truck is because the 4 color paint was almost unmolested.

Attachments

halftrack

MERDC is the best camo scheme of all. Like Bruce said, find untouched vehicles with it is hard to come by. When I was a kid all I could remember while looking at M151's was that pretty camo scheme. The US screwed up by going to that 3 color crap. Here is my MUTT in MERDC.

Attachments

Elwenil

halftrack said:
The US screwed up by going to that 3 color crap.
I would have to disagree. The MERDC pattern is nice and works under the right conditions but the 3 color pattern simply works better for it's intended purpose. The shift from MERDC to 3 color NATO I believe was also a shift in thinking from the old concealment ideas to the newer "satellites are going to see us so lets just break up our shape". It's not perfect, but it does it's job well. Obviously the same people that decided on the 3 color NATO were not involved when it was decided to go with the ACU uniforms, lol.

halftrack

Elwenil said:
halftrack said:
The US screwed up by going to that 3 color crap.
I would have to disagree. The MERDC pattern is nice and works under the right conditions but the 3 color pattern simply works better for it's intended purpose. The shift from MERDC to 3 color NATO I believe was also a shift in thinking from the old concealment ideas to the newer "satellites are going to see us so lets just break up our shape". It's not perfect, but it does it's job well. Obviously the same people that decided on the 3 color NATO were not involved when it was decided to go with the ACU uniforms, lol.
You are absolutely correct. I was just talking from a cosmetic point of view which doesn't make any sense from a tactical point of view.

halftrack

dk8019 said:
So how long til we have ACU patterned vehicles?
The Marines did this with an F-18 and I met the Gunny who did it. i look bad as, however, as time went on and parts were replaced, it was hard to keep up with the paint pattern. It was done more of a OH Rah kind of thing and not for practicality.

Attachments

halftrack

As a side note, it is usually the squadrons commander's aircraft that has the fancy paintings on them. Not just anyone flies those aircraft except the commander of the squadron.