• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of platsic fuel line to use?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the fuel return and manifold heater lines on the deuce? I have found that AOAP tubing doesnt stand up too well to the heat......

Would air brake line tubing work or???????????????????

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
On the fuel return and manifold heater lines on the deuce? I have found that AOAP tubing doesnt stand up too well to the heat......

Would air brake line tubing work or???????????????????
That's what I'm using, with inserts, new ferrules and original fittings, black tubing, marked "DOT" among other things.

Jake0147

RE: Re: What type of platsic fuel line to use?

Many factory original as designed medium and heavy duty trucks use air brake tubing as the factory fuel delivery and return tubing.
I've never seen it used above about 30 lbs, my understanding is that you will have a bit more than that??? However I have seen ZERO degredation in standard air brake tubing from the fuel, I'd have no qualms about using it in any way.
The fittings on the other hand, I would be absolutely sure to get compression type unions with the inserts, as with age the push-lock fittings tend to "weep" a little in air systems, I'd suspect they would in fuel systems as well, and even on trucks built with nothing but push-lock fittings for the air I find that the fuel systems still use compression unions.

Sarge

air line

Back in 2002 I was making a 4,000 mile trip in the deuce.
Not so smart in a 30 year old truck, but hey, that's me, not so smart.
On the return leg I was driving through BFE (Nowhere, west Texas) and I had a catastrophic fuel line failure.
Two fuel lines had been chafing together for 30 years and one finally decided it was time to run up the curtain and join the choir invisibule.
The engine was running great but there was a strong smell of diesel.
I looked out of the left window and saw that the entire left side of the truck was wet.
Pulled over and shut down.
I found the one line squirting still under residual pressure.
I repaired it by stealing a section of air hose and using two spare clamps.
Have you ever tried to find diesel in West Texas? Not easy.
When I got back to civilization, I replaced all of the fuel lines with air hose line (the high pressure clear expensive stuff) new brass ferrules and fittings.
I also tie wrapped the hoses so that there would be no more chafing.
No more problems with fuel lines since then, 6 years and thousands of miles.
Of course, it could blow up tomorrow.
-Sarge

Norseland

RE: air line

Seeing as how were talking about the plastic Fuel line, I thought I'd throw this out there.

If on the road and those lines begin to leak badly, wether because of wear or worn O-rings you can in a pinch use nail polish.
Ive used it on an older Harley carb and worked for years, never had to replace it either.

The old kehins had these plastic press fit elbows on the carb for the fuel feed. A Old BIker bud told me that if from after having to tear it down, those would be difficult to find so just refit the old one and use nail polish, Clear! so ya dont look funny!Gotta say I never thought it would last through the heat of a Harley or the vibrations from an older bike but it did.
Honestly for old time sake I just tried it on this Duece and it worked.
hope that helps for road assitance.

john

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: air line

i would not use clear line as it is probably not uv resistant. air bkake line is nylon inside, reinforced, and uv proof black material on the outside. it is made for a working pressure of 120 psi and the fuel system only goes to 70 psi. it comes in all the standard sizes, now is a good time to replace it all before you have a fire.