• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of Turbo is this?

gasser

I know the pics maybe hard to tell exactly, but I would like to know what Turbo this is. This is on the M109A3 I purchased from GL. The engine is a Hercules LDT-465.

All I have to go by is the pictures right now ... I haven't seen the truck in person yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,

-graham

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to be lunch on it, I'd bet it was a "D" turbo. The "C" turbo usually has the 3LG319 cast in the compressor side of the housing. Just for kicks I went out and was comparing turbos out in the yard. The known whistler on the tractor didn't have the 3LG319 cast in it but trust me, it's a whistler. Then I went an compared it to 2 take off turbos. Thought both were D turbos. One thing I noticed, the "C" turbo on the tractor and the 2 take off turbos had a date cast in the compressor side of the housing. The one known "D" turbo I looked at did not. As soon as I dry off a bit I'll go out and check the other known "D" turbo in the wrecker and see what it has. Thought I knew quite a bit about turbos but after today I know evel less.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just went out and had another looksee at the 5 turbos here at Casa De Recovry. Seems to me that the key is (and I've been missing this) is the exhaust side of the turbo. Reaching inside the fenderwell and stretching a tape across the side of the exhaust side I came up with this. The "D" turbo in my wrecker and Mike's deuce measured roughly 3" in width. Off to the tractor and did the same measurement and came up with about 1 1/2". Also checked the ventilated engine and the other turbo in the van body and both are 1 1/2" approx. I've always looked at the compressor side trying to see the differences and should have been looking at the exhaust side. Guess I need to stop complaining about not being able to find "C" turbos, I've got 2 besides the one on the tractor. Perhaps on my next day off, I'll be swapping turbos on the wrecker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks