• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what weight engineoil in n.c.

ctmustang

wandering what weight rotella the n.c. fellas like to use? the info plate in the cab says 30wt. above 32deg.f. heard someone say 15/40. which one? and are the napa oil & fuel filters acceptable-read old post someone says the gaskets on napa filters will drive you insane. any input appreciated.:roll:

combat32

Not sure about NC specific, back in the day when I first came in the Army (83) we were running 30wt in the engines, then sometime in the late 80's early 90's the Army switched to 40wt in darn near everything, I currently use the Rotella 40t as stated above, the Army has used it for years now so why not. In fact when we first got Bradley's in 85 to 86 time frame we used 30wt in the engine, 10wt in the tranny and 50wt in the road wheel hubs, logistical nightmare, I was sure glad when we went to 40 in everything!

Last edited:

MilitaryRestoration

:ditto: we use 15w40 in the log trucks and on road trucks, cars and pickups, 5tons deuces... Delo 15w40 has proved its durability for us... and as a side note about a year or more ago we stitched to bosch filters and have been very satisified compared to others. even though they cost more and never go on sale... there seems to be a reason for it ;-) (2cents)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a little research on oil and prices awhile back. I checked prices on 15w40 Rotella at all the auto parts stores, Walmart, Sams, and Kmart. Our local Farmers CO-OP has them all beat with their brand 15w40 oil by $1 a gallon. It has the same specs as Rotella so I think I'm going to deal with them on my next oil change.

GoHot229

I'm running 15-40 down here in Wadesbourough area, no problems. It's going to warm up soon, give it a couple days and the arctic bite will be over except for the Ashville area of course wich will take a fiew more days to catch up.

Oils

We run 15w40 in all our trucks. The multifuel is a high revving engine spinning 2,600rpm at full road speed. With the high rpm's and high compression ratio of the multi you want to ensure that your bearings are riding on a good film of oil and not something to light. We run 15w40 like SasquatchSanta with good success here in MN with Temps from -25 in the Winter to 105 in the Summer. I personally wouldn't use 30wt even in the winter as I think it's too light.

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks