• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Would You Pay?

Peterbilt387X

Hey guys,

Well I'm a typical noob and I'm in the market for a M35A2. I had a 25' gooseneck trailer that I hardly use and figure I should get something else. So happens that I found a local guy that has a few deuces - he used to collect surplus vehicles and really has some neat stuff. I'm not sure what year and model but he has one listed for $3900. It has a Hercules LDT-465 w/ the "D" turbo. It has a newer soft top, but the interior is pretty trashed from raccoons, and there is mild surface rust (from where the paint has chipped). It also is a non-winch model. The chassis components are really clean though and I did not find any rotten areas. It started right up and all the tires are pretty fresh - no dry rotting or cracking. He said he would take an offer and may even throw in another motor w/ the "C" turbo on it. What would you pay? I think it is relatively cheap since I can't find one that is below $6000. I plan on sanding & painting w/ cheaper matte black enamel. Heck, I might just spray over it like the military does. I'm not looking to win car shows (yet) but I definitely want to be proud driving to the local food joint. Motor looked pretty nice but then again, I don't know what to look for. I would go with a gov't auction site but I don't want to ship vehicles. This is about 15mi from my house so it is convenient. He also has a cleaner M35A2 w/ the "C" turbo, winch, and a camper back but I really have no use for that camper. I would end up selling it and I doubt I would be able to sell it around here (Ohio). Thank you!

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds a little high with "raccoon damage " . Does it have a title in the owners name ? Do the brakes work , sitting tends to be hard on them.
There are a couple listed in the classifieds for similar prices around columbus oh.

Peterbilt387X

He said the brakes would need to be flushed or something. It does have a valid title and the raccoon damage is minimal I guess. It pretty much needs new seat pads.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said the brakes would need to be flushed or something. It does have a valid title and the raccoon damage is minimal I guess. It pretty much needs new seat pads.
So that means full brake service ( pull tires, drums ) for inspection , plus all new wheel seals and any brake parts it needs . For that price it should be roadworthy. It is not hard to stick a grand into brakes.

A good thread on costs;
[h=3]cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce)[/h]

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Make absolutely sure the title/numbers match the truck and the name of the fellow you are buying from.
The frame numbers should be found in the area as in the pic.

IMG_1958.JPG

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not a bad price considering it comes with a spare motor and turbo.
+1
It's hard to find a running Deuce under $4K , and there are very few coming out of auctions anymore. Throwing in the spare motor makes the deal hard to turn down.

Peterbilt387X

Thank you for your opinions/advice gentlemen! I probably will shoot him an offer of $3500 w/ the extra motor then (that sound pretty fair?). I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to be throwing money away. I understand these rigs are a money pit already but that doesn't mean I have to pick the deepest pit haha

FloridaAKM

I wish that I could run into a deal like that here in Florida. The prices here are the same problem as you have found, in the $6k range. With the addition of a spare engine & a C turbo, it would be a done deal as long as the title is good for $3.5k to $4k for me. Let us know how it turned out for you when all is said & done!

LanceRobson

Well, if it comes to the worst case you've got a couple grand in scap steel and a lot of saleable parts. I'm guessing he hasn't been in a burning rush to sell the trucks so maybe a thread tilted something like "Deuce inspection help in XXXX, OH area needed" might get you an experienced set of eye to help you out.

Deuces can be expensive to get into shape so a running truck that has been recently on the road is awalys preferable. At any rate, if you have a fair tolerance for tinkering, are willing to read and follow the appropriate manintenance manuals and have a forgiving girlfriend/spouse you can't get hurt much on the money side of things.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Lance

Peterbilt387X

So I bought it. $3900, 1968 M35A2 w/ D motor, comes w/ extra transmission and extra LDS motor, as well as miscellaneous parts that it needs. And so it begins...IMG_20140320_182234_470.jpg

Jeepsinker

To SOME people just an LDS motor is worth what you paid for the truck. Looks like you made a good purchase, now replace that turd in your avatar with your new green turd!

sandcobra164

Cool score. I've tried to sell mine in the past and wasn't even offered that much. Mine has new batteries (Hawker AGM's) and new tires (Firestone T-831s dualed in the back), cargo cover in great shape and has been to 3 of the last 4 GA Rallies which is 180 miles one way for me. Hope you have the same luck out of your truck. I love how a deuce can go about anywhere and start at a whiff of the starter button. Taken care of, they'll last a long time. I've had mine about 5 years now and I've enjoyed every moment.

FloridaAKM

Great score for you. Post some more Picts of it when you get a chance. If ya got any spare luck left over after the deal, send it my way so I can put a duece in my driveway.

AZDeuce

Your truck, well at least the bed, appears to be a Marine Corps vehicle. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it appears as though the bent round stock welded to the lower edge of the bed, right above and between the duals has the welded on angled reinforcements, that's a Marine thing - but it just could be the angle of the photo. But it does appear to be a "C" dropside bed and that's a good thing.