• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year is this thing ?

rustystud

Hi everyone, this is my first post to Steel Soldiers. I have been reading the posts from this site for years now and really wanted to get my own truck. Finally I was able to buy my first M35A2 just last June. I wasn't able to drive it home since I had just underwent spinal fusion surgery but I got my good buddy who is also a ASE master mechanic to drive it for me. He said it drove like a dream and only had one problem which was shifting the gears. He had never driven anything with that gear pattern before ! Now months later I'm feeling better and decided to check out my new truck ( read toy ) !
I have been told and have read on Wiki that the last year the M35A2 was built was 1987 . So why does my registration from GL say 1989 and my engine data plate say
1989 ( LDT 465 1D ) and my Diffs say 1988 ?
The truck has a cab heater and dual brake boosters. I didn't know they came with dual boosters and cab heaters.
Was this some sort of refurbished rig ?
Some nice things it also came with was a hydraulic jack, an air hose and fill chuck with gauge, a first aid kit (mostly bandage wraps) , and a wheel lug wrench !
So can any of you MV scholars tell me what year this truck really is ?
Thanks, rustystud.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a plate; the numbers are stamped into the frame. You could also provide us the first 5 or 6 digits on the data plate on your dash.

wb1895

Original manufacture date, and RE-manufacture date are two different things. Are you getting your info off of the data plates or the frame?

rustystud

To answer the one question, it is a drop side. To answer the other questions I need to know where to look to find these numbers stamped on the frame. Where on the frame ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drivers side frame rail near the steering box and shackle mount. May be under layers of paint.

rustystud

I got all the numbers I could find. The frame is #1040 11528. The Identification is #1040-11528. The contract is #DAAE07-85-C-J047 . The stock is # 2320-00-926-0873. If there is any other numbers I need Please tell me. Thanks.

rustystud

Is there anyone out there who knows what these numbers mean ? I asked Carnac weeks ago, and no answer. So maybe someone else can at least tell me the year this truck came out? Identification # 1040-11528
Contract # DAAE07-85C-J047
Stock # 2320-00-926-0873
Frame # 1040-11528
Thank You.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the original ID plates on the upper right front of the dash? Need the registration number. This may also be painted on the hood or inside the doors.

DeucesWild11

Based on what I know about the Contract No the Middle number is the date for which the contract for the truck(s) were issued in your case 85 so that truck was built in 85 or later.

rustystud

M35A2 military truck ID. # 002.jpgM35A2 military truck ID. # 007.jpgThere is no registration number anywhere, and no numbers of any kind on the doors or door frames. The truck also has drop sides and did not come with the pioneer rack or tools.

rustystud

Thanks guys ! That finally answered a question that came up after I first bought it . A friend came over and said you could tell the date by looking at the differential tag, well it said 1988. My friend said they didn't make them by then and probably the diffs had been changed out at a retrofit. Also the title from GL said 1988 too, but I was told you can never trust them on the dates.
It's just nice to know where your rig came from ( McCord AirForce Base WA., though I picked it up at Fort Lewis), and the year it was made.