• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what's best ?

collector

Hello.

I'm thinking about saving up and buying one.

My requirements are highway driving, occasional 5 ton payload.

I apologise if this had been asked before !

Which is best, the Kaiser or the AM General ?

I believe that there are several engines available, right ?

What are they, and which is best ? Is there an engine to avoid ?

I know that at least one is a multi-fuel engine, and I think it is set up on diesel principles, right ? Are the other engines straight diesels ?

Do they all have the same Rockwell axles and spring ratings ?

Thank you. I don't know much.

Stark

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can answer parts of your question as someone who is in a similar situation to you and has not yet found the Deuce to buy.

This web site is an incredible source of information and the way to learn is to keep reading the posts in this forum. Also, READ THE MANUALS for the truck, at least the operators' manual.
You can find them in the leftmost frame, click on "technical manuals". This is the link for the operators' manual (to save you a bit of time): http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=15

The manufacturer of the truck does not matter; they all have the same specs. There is a gasser and two multifuel engines (one is naturally aspirated, the other has a turbo - for cleaner burn, not for much more power). A turbo can be added to a naturally aspirated version.
"Multifuel" means that the engine can run on a variety of hydrocarbon fuels, but they run most happily on Diesel with ok mileage. Many people run and/or experiment with mixtures of other fuels, depending on what is cheaply available and within the specs of the engine.

The trucks are based on decades-old design, have their quirks and I can see that learning BEFORE you head out and search for one will spare you from frustration and disappointment.

Perhaps you can locate a Deuce owner in your neighbourhood (try the Member Locator Map; very last link on the left hand side) and get some first-hand impressions.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Truck manufacturer does not make any difference - nor does the builder of the engine.

Possible stock engines/transmissions

OA-331 gas with five speed transmission
LDS-427 Multifuel with five-speed manual overdrive transmission - this is the engine to avoid - parts are hard to find
LD-465 Multifuel engine with five speed manual overdrive transmission - a nice, quiet engine
LDT-465 Multifuel engine with five-speed manual overdrive transmission - a much louder powerplant, with, in stock form, little additional power.
Cat 3116 diesel engine with Allison Automatic transmission - this is the powerplant of the M35A3 - and is rather pricey.

Like diesels, the Multifuel is a compression-ignition engine. All these trucks use essentially the same axles.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks