• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats in your deuce for on the road spares???

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

With the trips of several of our members lately, and from your own personal experince, what do you now carrry in your deuce for "on the road repair parts"?? Im not talking complete engines or tranny's, but stuff like throttle control return springs, extra fuses for the fuel pump, ect... Perhaps an extra alternator???

Tell us what you carry, where it can be found, and any part # for a "local" source.. NAPA, Autozone, ect, or is it a "Saturn Surplus only" type of thing?

Like the commerical says, whats in your spare parts box on your truck?

Mark

Westech

CPL
Well as we all know I love to drive all over the country for green iron. I have taken 1000 miles trips in the deuce with little problems. I like to have a full tool box, exra belts, hoses (all size for the deuce) 2 gallons of oil, 5 gallons of diesel, 2 gallons of water, 2 quarts of brake fluid. Tape's, zip ties, hose clamps, extra lines for the air system, gasket makers, bearing grease and extra bearing. Other things that are very over looked are safty glasses, ear plugs, rags, couple packs of smokes (help when you really get tired and should have pulled off 15 hours ago) some cash stashed away some place (like 20 bucks) atleast 2 spair tires, jacks/stands, I also have the Deuce set up for air tools and such.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aside from handtools and the obvious, I always travel with the powerbleeder. There is a -10 manual in each of my trucks gloveboxes. I rarely leave the house without a laptop so I have bunches of manuals. Besides all the parts, I'm putting together a little survival kit so to speak, for each truck. Basically its an ALICE pack with a first aid kit, flashlight, poncho liner, small pillow and 2 MREs along with 3 bottles of water. How many of you folks carry flares or the 3 triangles? You can't plan for every brakedown unless you take a spare everything, (which I've done).

westfolk

Speaking of triangles. The other day I got pulled over and given a complete DOT check by our wonderful PA Sate Police. Just happens that I did not have my triangles or fire extinguisher in the truck. Of course they ticketed me for that and a whole string of other things telling me that I did not have ALL the necessary COMMERCIAL truck requirements. Yes, I'm fighting it. The kicker of it is.....I was just shy of a county line (Bradford/Wyoming counties on U.S. 6). First I receive the tickets in the mail from Wyoming county and then another set of the same tickets from Bradford county. Yes, I'm fighting them all. Let's over look the fact I am not commercial to begin with(I was driving an M135) how do you figure two different counties can get a piece of me?

AMGeneral

For the 2003 East Coast convoy to Aberdeen MA with my Deuce I completely rebuilt my multifuel(new crankshaft,main and rod bearings,cylinder liners,piston rings,valves and seats and oil pump)plus I took the following,

spare injection pump
spare water pump
spare alternator
spare starter
2 sets of belts
2 sets of fuel filters
enough filters and oil for 2 complete changes
2 spare batteries
2 spare tires
5 gal 80w90
2 gal dot 5 brake fluid
spare master cyl
2 wheel cylinders
10 gal antifreeze
complete tool kit (incl air tools)
various axle and trans/t-case seals
1 spare cylinder head(complete)
10 gal extra diesel fuel
10 gal water(drinkable)

I believe that was it.

westfolk

That's a list that should cover it all. Did you have any room left in the bed? I now know that I'm crazy for just jumping in the truck and going to town with it. Just kidding AMGeneral. I read your post about enjoying today. Been there oh so many times....and done that. My trucks work everyday and experience regular maintainence. I seldom have any real problems that I can't limp it on in if I have to. I usually just have a toolbox with me if I going more than 40-50 miles from home. I say that because when they are at work they are never more than 15 miles from home. Check my avatar. That's what they spend their time doing, hauling stone.

MrAugust

I get the feeling you guys dont trust your trucks... i go down south every year with the deuce and kaiser M715 on back... n take nothing as my truck wont brake down, good maintainence.... easy trust... no signs no triangle, just a ajustable spanner n credit card....

and on motor way i dont punnish the beast... 1900 RPMs 43 to 45 MPH, with the jeep on tow.... 16 to gallon big turbo on her sorted...

one thing i do take ... drink n plenty Ciggies......

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides normal hand tools. I bring 2, 20 ton bottle jacks. And my tire hammer/breakdown bars. Some spare tubes/flaps. I've hade more than one flat at a time. 2 jerry cans with diesel.I'm tring to find a place to put 2 more jerry cans. And 2 gallons of oil. 2 gallons of antifreeze. All three fuel filters. Sometimes the used motor oil plugges them up. And some MRE's /drinking water. I've been stuck in the woods with no food before, not fun. One gallon of gear oil. I also bring 1/2 and 3/4 drive impact. Makes changing flats go pretty quick. And one fully charged cell phone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks