• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the average life on the multi fuel motor?

With parts getting scarce and prices going up, whats the average life of the multi motor before considering rebuild, or replacement? How long can an inframe rebuild extend the life of a motor? Is 1500 hrs mid point on these motors? and how "cheap" were these motors made in regards to being sent to combat and being used and abused... "throw away motors?" I just wondered if sooner or later we might be forced to do repowers on our old girls.

Thanks for all input

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think these were intended to be throwaway's. They seem to be overenginered in too many ways. I agree parts get scarce at times. I started gathering parts a coulpe of years ago. Not because i thought i couldn't get more, but so i could keep it running with out having to wait for ordered parts to arrive. Since these trucks are bieing phased out parts are getting easier to get. But can't last forever. With the NG still running them, parts are still bieing made.
How long will they last? Dunno there is too many varables. But i have just over 50K on mine. And i know there are guys here who use thiers for work who probally have many more miles/hours than me. Want it to last a long time? Change the oil often! Oil is much cheeper than engines. And a lot easier to get.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I dont have the exact answer to this question, I can tell you that performing the normal PMCS and services in the TM's will lead to the longest life possible of the entire vehicle. Yes, some common sense is required if one doesnt use the vehicle as a daily driver. No need to swap out the air fiter every 6 months if you only put a dozen or so hours on the truck in those 6 months in parade conditions... The checks for leaks, tire pressures, and that sort of stuff should be done often, by the book. The small class 1 leaks and wierd sounds will tell where problems are starting, and if caught in time and fixed, most of the time no damage is done.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are so many of these deuces in service still, both in ARNG and in foreign governments, not to mention all the rigs in service in state and local governments, fire stations, and the tens of thousands that are still soldiering on in civvy duty on our farms and ranches, that I don't think engine parts will become rare for another 20 years at least. Then, we're gonna have to think about repowers, but I think you can keep your pants on for now! :)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not odd to see properly maintained farm tractor diesels with 6,000 hours on them and still going. Speaking of farm tractors, these engines are used in White farm tractors, so parts are going to be available there for a long time, too. I say, no worries!
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks