• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best way to buy a CUCV?

Dolphin_Shooter

My Tax return is due back shortly I'm kinda Torn between buying from GL
or Motorsource in chicago Im sure I could save some green getting one at auction Yet i have no Idea what kinda problems I might get into.And I hear dealing with GL is alot like dragging your testicales over broken glass soaked in Habenero Juice.

Motorsource gose through the cucv's they get and makes sure everything is functional $4200 is kinda steep but might be worth it?

what sayth those of you that have been there and done that?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a project , buy from GL. If you want a truck you can get in and drive, get one from Motorsource . Prices on GL are rising , you get a unknown truck , paperwork to get a title ( extra $ 60 ) witch you can't apply for till after you take possession of the truck . There were pick-ups sold out of fort meade last that went for well over $ 4000 . The classifieds right here on SS have a few nice CUCV's for sale also .

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a wealth of information about CUCVs at your fingertips with this forum. I suggest spending a few hours browsing the threads and using the search functions. I've learned so much about my truck and saved countless hours. Do lots of research before making the investment in a truck and don't be in a rush to buy one. $4200 is a reasonable price for one that runs and drives. Good luck in your search!

salt6

If you want a project , buy from GL. If you want a truck you can get in and drive, get one from Motorsource . Prices on GL are rising , you get a unknown truck , paperwork to get a title ( extra $ 60 ) witch you can't apply for till after you take possession of the truck . There were pick-ups sold out of fort meade last that went for well over $ 4000 . The classifieds right here on SS have a few nice CUCV's for sale also .

Don't forget the 10%(?) buyers fee GL charges on top of the winning bid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am well versed (sorta) in CUCVs but I bought a running and driving truck from another member. Didn't want to fool with another project.

GPrez

I'll give you an example. I purchased via GL auction at Ft. Meade a M1028 2-weeks ago. I paid $2,170 + 10% BP. It will cost me another $60 to get the SF-97, and I don't know for sure what I'm getting till I pick it up. The pictures look complete, but it says it doesn't run. Could be something simple or it could have a major problem. That's the gamble you take.

I would assume this would be your first GL purchase so your EUC approval could take 6 to 8 weeks on top of everything else. $4,200 for a known running truck doesn't sound too bad. It all depends on how much you are willing to gamble.

my86m1009

'Don't buy from motorsource, there trucks aren't the best and to be honest the salesmen are a bunch of a**holes. Keep looking on craigslist, you will find one. I just bought one yesterday off craigslist that is completely mint and it was cheaper than motorsource and about 20 minutes away

K9Vic

There is a member here that bought a M1031 from Motorsource and drove it back to Texas with no problems. So basically saying if you want to not have to deal with surprises not being able to inspect it, like bent drive shaft due to fork light (as noted: Or the fork truck bonuses), or bad engine. You should just get one from a dealer like Motorsource that deals with government vehicles as their primary source. If you can work on these trucks to save money and can inspect them at GL, get one from GL. As noted your EUC can take a long time, so the easy of being able to drive it home after paying for it from a dealer can be worth the extra money.

Here is the thread on the M1031 bought from Motorsource.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/69496-general-lee-euro-farquaad.html

Oh and I just bought a M1031 from a private party locally with my tax refund and it was exactly the same price as my refund, so that worked out great!!!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Don't buy from motorsource, there trucks aren't the best and to be honest the salesmen are a bunch of a**holes. Keep looking on craigslist, you will find one. I just bought one yesterday off craigslist that is completely mint and it was cheaper than motorsource and about 20 minutes away
There are alot of " Flippers " on craigslist that just drag them home and sell them , just like they got them from GL. I belive there has been a few members hear that have purchessed from motorsource and been happy . It all gets down to get what you expect " inspect" .

Cucvnut

Not to be mean but 86M1009 has 1 post he joined yesterday. we really don't know him. we don't know if he had a bad exp or just shooting off his mouth. if you want to buy from motor source do it. i have not heard anything bad about them.

combatmech

I bought my second M-1009 from a dealer in Texas I found on autotrader.com $4500...and it was a steal!! Very little rot/rust. The Army unit that had it prior to me took care of it...amazingly enough.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I recently bought one. I thought it'd be a quick fix. It's proving otherwise...

Once the alternator issue is fixed, it's just cosmetic left. (Body work, paint, lift)

I paid $1950 for my project. I've already put another grand in it so far and have a lot more to go. I'll be around the 4K mark I'm sure when I'm done. Not counting my labor. (It's a hobby)

ABN173

Ok DS, Here is my two cents. The first MV I ever bought was a M1009 back in late 2008. It had a 6" lift, Rock Crawler wheels, and HMMWV tires for $3800. I still consider it worth what I paid. In Spring of 2009 I bought a M1008 for $1900 on GL auction that has been a FANTASTIC truck! I have used it as a daily driver and have only had to do oil changes and replace a headlight that went out.

Now fast forward to present day, M1008's, M1009's, and M35A2's are almost out meaning they are not popping up on GL as often and hard to find on GSA also. I saw a CUCV with a bad starter go for almost $4,000 on GL a couple weeks ago. I saw a M1028 painted Fire Department yellow sell for $3,700 last night. Its all about supply and demand, and the supply is running out plain in simple, cost are going up. The truck you mentioned is not out of line with what I have observed lately so that being said its all up to you. You might find a good deal on a auction, but I fear those good deals are becoming fewer and farther between. A few years back guys could pick up a good deuce without a winch for $1000 (+/- $500) and about another $1000 more for with winch. Now anything sub $4000 is acceptable on auction (at least on the West Coast). If you want see what comes up on auction near you for a couple of weeks, if nothing comes up that you can inspect or have a friend inspect then go with the private sale. If you had asked this question a couple of years ago I'd have said Auction, prices are going up so just finding a truck near you may be worth the price you mentioned.

Good luck!
Dale

Last edited:

K9Vic

There are alot of " Flippers " on craigslist that just drag them home and sell them , just like they got them from GL. I belive there has been a few members hear that have purchessed from motorsource and been happy . It all gets down to get what you expect " inspect" .
I agree that Motor Source is a good dealer as I have not heard anyone complain about them. If you buy a 25 year old truck and drive it back 1100 miles that is a good dealer that went over it and did not just slap a for sale sign on it. I would buy from them if they had exactly what I wanted, but generally I find what I need directly from the auction sites. I thought about buying that same M1031, but decided I can wait.

As for Criagslist & even eBay you do have to worry about the guy that buys one and turns it over the next week, even using the same pictures that GL used to list it which is copyright violation. They have no idea what these trucks are and what common things to look for before you should resell one. I am working on a M1009 for resale and I act like a good dealer would checking everything in the drive line, engine & interior. I take pictures of the work I did and show any buyers that and that makes them feel more comfortable that they are not getting a flip vehicle.

Anyways, no matter where you go you still have to be careful that is all we are trying to say. However Motor Source regularly sells CUCV & Government vehicles and knows what they are selling.

combatmech

Even a decent CUCV series vehicle, you'll spend about a grand right off the bat. It all depends.....most will need something other than fluids and lights. ( Brakes, axle ball joints, drive shafts, u-joints, etc ) And that would depend on who had it and how well it had been taken care of. There are good ones are out there....the prices have been goin up pretty steady over the last year.

Reverend Evil

I live close to Eglin Afb and they are getting pricey down here also . I saw one local on craigs.... and it was listed at 6500 and didnt last the week so my 2 cents 4200 and running I would jump on it . I paid 1900 or so and got to inspect it since I bought at the local base but like every one else has said if my wife knew what I have spent total I dont think I would still have it.

ranchhopper

Not to be mean but 86M1009 has 1 post he joined yesterday. we really don't know him. we don't know if he had a bad exp or just shooting off his mouth. if you want to buy from motor source do it. i have not heard anything bad about them.
I have worked on trucks bought from them for members here I wouldnt recommend them when you find the inner fenders patched up with tin and sheet metal screws. You will do a lot better buying them from so called flippers for less and working the bugs out yourselves this comming from someone local with more than one post.

cucv1833

Even a decent CUCV series vehicle, you'll spend about a grand right off the bat. It all depends.....most will need something other than fluids and lights. ( Brakes, axle ball joints, drive shafts, u-joints, etc ) And that would depend on who had it and how well it had been taken care of. There are good ones are out there....the prices have been goin up pretty steady over the last year.

:ditto:

I bought my 2nd Cucv from a private seller. I probaly paid a little more but I kinda knew what I was getting.

In the first week of having it I drop $1K on servicing and small upgrades. A year later Im about to drop another $1K on it. Never had any problems

I think dropping $4K on a CUCV from a dealer is not a bad idea. Thats what I seen some go for from GL lately2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks