• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the deal with importing American-made armor?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it apart. I believe you can import pieces just not the vehicle as a whole (I am not an import expert so do you own diligence).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having watched 13 former US M113A2s in service under the Israeli flag just be imported before Christmas I can say it's possible but there's more red tape than bricks on the golden brick road. I can't quote law directly, nor am I an attorney, but form my understanding is if the vehicle remained under US ownership, no foreign service/government ownership, it can't be imported. This is all subject to filing an import request (form 6?) with the state department for approval before anything happens at all. Anything approved still has to meet demil requirements etc.. Of course expect to pay big money and wait. There's a few stories on SS about importing armor.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think from the halftrack story, the item must have belonged to the foreign government for five years or more before the state department would allow it to be brought back in. That is in the original thread on the 'african queen'.

1943ht

@1943ht - can you provide any insight into the customs process based on your experience repatrioting your halftrack? I'm wondering if there's a difference with the halftrack due to its age?
Its a combination of several things

1. Hired a very experienced broker out of Norfolk VA. (Kuhn and Naggle)
2. Bill of sale from the French Army with all the official ribbons and wax seal.
3. Shipped it as an Active Duty Colonel to the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Depot where it was stored by my buddies until I got home in Apr 2007.
4. Ignorance - I did not know of any issues with customs regards shipping her back to the states as this was my 1st vehicle and therefore was not the least bit concerned with anything other than cost as broker was handling all the paperwork
5 JUST PLAIN LUCKY!!!!

Markus

HDN

Its a combination of several things

1. Hired a very experienced broker out of Norfolk VA. (Kuhn and Naggle)
2. Bill of sale from the French Army with all the official ribbons and wax seal.
3. Shipped it as an Active Duty Colonel to the Twin Cities Army Ammunition Depot where it was stored by my buddies until I got home in Apr 2007.
4. Ignorance - I did not know of any issues with customs regards shipping her back to the states as this was my 1st vehicle and therefore was not the least bit concerned with anything other than cost as broker was handling all the paperwork
5 JUST PLAIN LUCKY!!!!

Markus
Thank you for your insight! I could probably take care of items 1, 2, and 4, but for 3? It's going to take me a few years before I attain the rank of Colonel... And my wife most likely won't allow that to happen at home :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for mentioning the broker you used. I'll have to keep them in mind if I decide to import stuff (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks