• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the difference in the M871, M871A1, & the A2 Trailers?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Nice 915 in your avitar! I have been trying to figure out the 871 geneology as well. I think the A1's and A2's were just engineering variations by different manufacturers. The A2's are made by Dynaweld for example and the rear part is made differently. Otherwise they are functionally equivalent. All of them are set up to lock on to 20' ISO containers. They all have spring suspension and 12/24 lighting. When hooked behind my 915, you do not know it is back there. At 30', they are a bit short to be of much competitive commercial use. Which is why they have been selling for around $400 lately I would guess.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a M871 can't be pulled with a commercial (civilain) truck. The neck is too high and the frame will drag the ground unless you raise the truck's 5th wheel or shorten the neck of the trailer. We use a M871 with civilain trucks but the neck has been shortened to match the civilain truck's 5th wheel height.

Thanks for the info NDT! The 915 avitar I have was the one that was for sale by M1075
in Oklahoma. Saddly someone beat me to it. Like the old saying goes a day late and a dollar short. It was the A1 with the Allison transmisson. Are there any 915A1 tractors
for sale that you know of? Thanks!!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay tuned to Government Liquidation. The 915s, 915A1s, and 920s are coming out in steadily now. Mine came from the Illinois National Guard last year, about 25 were auctioned at the same time. The ones with the black headliners were recently rebuilt in Texas. They bring a $3000 premium at auction.

I see there are afew 915s on GL now, in Texas, but they all look alittle rough. Either rusty or incomplete from the photos. I have limited time to travel and inspect for myself so I'll
keep watching. The one in my avitar was as nice as I've seen. I've been kicking myself since losing out to the other buyer. In your exerience when GL says "running condition unknown" are you just talking a shot in the dark, or can you get lucky? I've never actually
bought from GL so its all new to me. For my needs/wants I think the allison transmission
is my best bet. What is an average price for one sold at GL, if you can give me an idea. I am in New Mexico, close to Kirtland, Cannon, Holloman, Bliss, White Sands missle range etc
but I see very few trucks comming out of these bases. I wonder if there is any 915s out here? Thanks for your info!!![thumbzup]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the thread is drifting off topic but oh well. Well, buying from GL, there are dozens of threads on that. Buying 915's, not many. I have only seen one or two 915's come up west of San Antonio, at Barstow. The one from M1075 came from the North Carolina National Guard and was sold near there. Prices seem to start at $3000 for a 100K miles sad looking turn-in, and rise quickly with the rebuilt ones like M1075's. It is anyone's guess if you can show up to a base with 4 batteries and drive 1000 miles home. I have found the cost of the diesel plus the airfare and hotels can quickly equal the cost of having your truck hauled. So that is my recommendation. If parts are not missing in the pictures, I would expect the truck will run without too much trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks