• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the Gov-loc diff on M1009s?

1956_4x4

I've heard them called "gov-bombs" by many. That said, I can't actually recall one coming into the maintenance shop for a bad rear differential while I was in the AF.

Smitty

NEIOWA

1956_4x4 said:
I've heard them called "gov-bombs" by many. That said, I can't actually recall one coming into the maintenance shop for a bad rear differential while I was in the AF.

Smitty
Pretty hard to break something between the flightline and the Holiday Inn!

1956_4x4

NEIOWA said:
1956_4x4 said:

Smitty
Pretty hard to break something between the flightline and the Holiday Inn!
Hey, get it right, it's the Ramada Inn... :D

Smitty

mangus580

K10A said:
Yes they frequently explode and dont function properly very often .
Honestly, I think about 75% of that is poor maintenance, and using them in a manner they werent really designed for (heavy use, and high RPM spinning)

Mine works great.... although I wonder sometimes if I would be better off without it, as when it locks, the back of the truck usually goes sidewasy :-D

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dirtyfingernails said:
I'm looking to buy one of these vehicles (M1009) and was wondering what a gov-loc diff is? Some sort of cheap locker?
Thanks!
DFN
The problem with this locker (and why it has such a bad reputation) is not in the design so much as in the fact that the differential of the Corporate 10-bolt axle is not strong enough to handle anything other than light abuse (although I still don't like the idea of suddenly locking axles together when they are spinning at substantially different speeds). The FF 14-bolt version of this locker does not have the same inherent weakness, and is much less frequently broken. In mud/sand/loose dirt/etc it works fairly well. But, if you apply the throttle hard while while wheel is on ice and the other is on dry pavement, WATCH OUT! When it locks and that other tire has full traction... That's usually when the BANG occurs.... :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks