• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Balancing...

ragedracer

So I've been running my M1009 for about 2 weeks. I noticed when it got up to about 55mph, I started getting a pretty bad vibration. I had checked the driveshaft and hadn't noticed any forklift dents. But, I crawled under there again anyway and checked it out. Nothing. I couldn't figure out what would cause it.

I was then looking at the wheels, hey, no wheel weights! On ANY of the rims. I made a trip down to Discount Tire, they replaced all the valve stems and balanced all the wheels for me. Holy cow, what a difference. It rides very smooth now, all the way up to 70 (as fast as I was willing to go).

Is it common for the .mil to forgo wheel balancing?

rr

PS: I also found a couple other issues. The right front brake line was twisted. Fixed. Also found that ALL of the alternator (on both!) bolts were loose. Fixed. Now I just need to replace the rear output seal on the transmission and it should be good to go!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel balancing in the Army is a lost art. Much easier to replace a worn tire than to try to balance it is the thinking.....

Alredneck

Banned
Flash back to active duty ............................. Whats a wheel balancer? Must be in the connex with the boxes of grid squares and chemlight batteries!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks