• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel bearing torque?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched the forum, and through my manuels, but can't find the settings for wheel bearings. How far do you tighten the spindle nut, or what torque? Or is it set the same as a car, tighten, the back off a 1/8 of a turn?
Dennis

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
On race car bearings (very big) 15-20 foot pounds. Thats a very good place to start, too loose and clunk clunk clunk, too tight and burn up city. A deuce bearing is just like any other, 15-20 and recheck after a couple 100 miles and you should be good to go.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too loose in the front will effect wheel alignment/tire wear.

Here is the procedure according to TM 9-2320-209-20 :

"Tighten inner adjusting nut to 50 ft-lb while wheel is being rotated. Rotate in both directions to position the bearings. Back off 1/4 turn so that the wheel turns freely. Tighten jam nut 100-150 ft-lb."

Based on the pitch of the thread (I measured this), one 1/4 turn represents a movement of 0.015 inches, which could possibly effect the camber and toe-in by as much as 3/32".

I think that backing off the adjusting nut an 1/8 of a turn is a better spec. That's what I use anyway.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. Got them all repacked, new seals, and one new bearing. Had to rebuild the front wheel cylinders. After I adjust the brakes, should be good to go for Haspin.
Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks