• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel chock recommnedations?

OD_Coyote

I am working on my Christmas wish list and one of the things I want for my deuce is a set of wheel chocks...The piece of cord wood I have been using for the past year is getting a little tired looking.
Any recommendations for material and size?

Thanks,
Chris

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seabees use 4x4 or 6x6 chunks and 45 one edge off. Two of these attached together with a piece of rope. For the poor unsuspecting chap that exits his truck and fails to chock it, he gets to wear a pair of chocks around his neck for a day. Needless to say, between the embarassment and the strain of packing them around, it only happens once. Seabees almost always paint them yellow too.

rmgill

I have set of chocks (2 pair in fact) from Northern Tool for the Duece. For the Dingo and Ferret, I have some 2x6's that are nailed/bolted together with a 45° cut on them for chocks. A piece of Sisal rope run through them is useful for keeping them in pairs. Make it long enough so you can block a pair of wheels to the rear in stead of one wheel on a side.

CGarbee

builder77 said:
I just stopped by Northern Tool, and they have them for $10 each. They are on sale till the 30th from $15 each. They are nothing special, but are much better then the 4x4 I have been using. I did not even notice running over the wood the other day. I think that this is an in-store sale.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_13776_13776

I purchased a case of these directly from the manufacturer a few years back for $10 plus shipping, so the sale price sounds really good to me (figure that shipping and taxes are about the same in my location...). :)

We use the same model at work (chained together in pairs, similar to what I have done with the ones I use on my MV's) and like them a lot. Nice thing about them is that they grip a little better on pavement than the wooden or steel chocks, and they don't scuff pavement as much either. You can run over them in a duece or five ton, but you have to work at it... ;)

Enjoy them.

PS: I tend to chock the "off side" or "curb side" as it forces me to walk around the truck (pre and post drive check) and it keeps me from bending over near traffic... Also, walk down the driver's side to the rear then back down the passenger side so you are facing oncomming traffic...

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Cool I might actually go back for another set for the trailer, or just spares. I was curious if you have had any trouble with them crushing as they are hollow on the inside?

CGarbee

builder77 said:
Cool I might actually go back for another set for the trailer, or just spares. I was curious if you have had any trouble with them crushing as they are hollow on the inside?
Haven't managed to crush one yet... :)

ida34

The northern tool chocks are more like the ones we used in the military than anything else I have seen. We used a chain and secured them to the pioneering tool rack so they did not walk away. When we would go to leave we would grab it up and place it on the rack.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I keep a couple of pieces of 6"x6" lumber roughly 20" long in my tool box. they work well as chocks, can be driven on w/ the inner wheel to quickly acces the outer, and make a good base for a jack.