• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel cleaning standards

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a tubeless tire, what are the best ways to clean the rim portion of the wheel(s)?
Since the rubber must make an airtight seal against the metal, are there any no-nos when getting rid of old paint an rust in this area?

Thanks.

Attachments

mangus580

Great Question Bjorn.... I am also curious for Tube tires (mainly Deuce wheels) what steps people go to for cleaning them up. Primarily the Lock Ring area.

Pinkie

I have always wire brushed the inside and the beads, then hit it with a coat of paint to stop the rust. Thats it!

ygmir

I'd sandblast.......of course, thats what I do............
then, paint immediatly, within a few minutes, and, it'll stick really well..........

Barrman

A Snap-On Crud Thug will clean a M35 rim inside and out in about 2 hours. This includes the lock ring. If all you want to do is the bead surface, a Crud Thug is kind of pricey. Use a wire wheel on a small grinder or some 50 grit pads on a die grinder. About 20 minutes should get all the bead surfaces done.

Of course, media blasting the entire rim would be the best in my opinion. Your tires won't leak, your paint will stick and rust won't develop in the can area to hold our tube flap hostage 5 years from now when you try to take the tire apart.

madsam

RE: Re: RE: Wheel cleaning standards

When I worked at Sears a lifetime ago, we used a drill with wire wheel to get the rust off the bead. The rubber gets pushed hard onto the rim with air pressure. As long as we used the tire lube, (Basically some kind of glycerin soap) the bead would seat well to almost any crusty rim.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Wheel cleaning standards

steelandcanvas said:
Bjorn, Media blast, Prime, Paint, it doesn't any easier or better than that. You won't be disappointed!
:ditto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks