• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel ID

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a Michelin 14.00R20 XZL, mounted on a 20x10", 2-pc/20 bolt aluminum wheel, having a 10-on-11.25" bolt pattern and (estimated) backspace of 10.5 to 11".

So, YES, this should fit perfectly on a M923.

G.

tbar123

Thanks for the reply, I picked up a set from GL auction yesterday and the rain moved in before I could get some pics. It's done raining now so I'm going out for some, but from what I understand the wheels installed on the rear axles are turned around. This is a problem because of the air nozzle. It sits between 2 stud holes. So is there a plate or anything I can do to use these wheels or correct the problem. I'll post pics here in about 15 minutes.

tbar123

I'm not sure what that means NDT, I'm also a newbie of sorts. Could you tell me what stud-piloted wheels mean?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, sorry, stud piloted is the type lug nuts used on your 5 ton, also called "budd caps" etc. I'm contradicting gringle's take on what you have. He has far more experience than me however.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops... forgot for a moment that the M939 hubs can't be flipped...

So in order to run these wheels "dished-out" you would have to 1) make sure the wheel hub flange fits into the recessed area,
2) drill and tap a hole for the valve stem, on the opposite (inner)side,
3) plug the original valve stem hole on the outer side.

I don't think there is a "inner plate" that could be flipped.

To NDT: thanks for pointing this out; it makes perfect sense!
Although, I'm not sure if in their original application these wheels were hub-piloted; or they simply rely on a snug fit to the studs, and being aluminum they just take those special flange nuts as seen in the first pic...?

I now see that there are too many IF's, as to simply say these wheels will fit on a M923...
Yes, they will fit, after some re-engineering work. But then it would be for "OFF-ROAD"-use only...!!!

G.

Last edited:

tbar123

Well,That sucks arse, but I do thank you gents for the info.I think I will try to get ahold of Hutchinson and see if the inner plate can be flipped.gringel; There is a inner and outer plate ( I suppose there called) .I just hope that it's just an easy turn around and everything will be fine.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what you are referring to as the inner plate is actually the inside half of the two-piece wheel. If that is the case, no, it cannot be flipped

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't hub-piloted wheels require flanged nuts? I thought stud-piloted wheels typically have recessed openings, these looks flush as if they were hub-piloted.

If the pic's filename is correct (in first post), the vehicle is an Oshkosh (in partnership with PVI) ALPHA, if that helps in your searches.

Last edited:

tbar123

the first picture I posted was of the FBI's rendition of the Cougar the anti mine vehicle, so those wheels are definitelyMRAP's.

tbar123

could someone tell me what type of rims I could use on M 9 23, and if they would like to trade these rims for the ones I could use

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
could someone tell me what type of rims I could use on M 9 23, and if they would like to trade these rims for the ones I could use
Just measure the bolt pattern and see if it fits a standard 10-lug Budd pattern.

peashooter

the first picture I posted was of the FBI's rendition of the Cougar the anti mine vehicle, so those wheels are definitelyMRAP's.
I've learned that there are a ton of different MRAP vehicles out there. Some (probably most) use what we all have been calling MRAP wheels that are Hub Piloted and have the 11" hole in the center, and some MRAP vehicles use the 5 ton pattern wheel that are stud piloted. Some MRAP vehicles have a smaller 8 lug pattern, etc. As far at tires go, I've seen all sorts of them as well (brand and size). There are a couple "MRAP" wheels that I've only seen once also, not sure if they were prototypes or what.

You may be able to get these to work just fine for less hassle than trying to find new ones. Try out what gringletaube said first. Probably would have to start by airing down a tire then unscrewing the valve stem on the front of the wheel (the ones you will use on the rear axles with the dish out). If you can get the wheel to fit onto the hub then you should be good to make them work. Drill and tap the opposite side of the wheel for the valve stem relocation (.332/Q Drill bit, 1/8-27 NPT tap probably). Get a 1/8"npt plug from the hardware store for the original valve stem location. As far as the hub pilot vs stud pilot issue, that can be overcome a number of ways. Either chamfer the holes, or use some bushing sleeves on the studs that will make up and gap with the wheel's lug holes. Since they are aluminum wheels like G said the lug nuts will probably seat themselves after a while (just keep checking/tightening them for a while).

tbar123

I have measured them and as far as I can tell the bolt pattern is the same. I think I will have to try the drilling and tapping idea. Although if I do try it and screw it up then that wheel is useless. I just so dag gum nervous about stuff like that. One more question, Can I run different tires on the front ( same size,width/Michelin,Goodyear) and be okay? I don't think that it will matter as long as the same tire is ran on each axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks