• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Stud length for 5 ton with 1600's.

We are finally ready to put on our Hemmt Rims with 1600's on an M818. We have the tires & rims and I have been slobbering over them for the past 3 months.

What wheel studs do I need to make these work for the front? What length? Any recommended place to buy them. I know Oshkosh Equipment has them for $10 a piece.

Any help would be appreciated-Thanks again,
Andy

jwaller

RE: Wheel Stud length for 5 ton with 1600

something about 1/2 longer than what you have will work. I used the stock ones on my hemmet rims and I didnt have a problem with it. some ppl do I didnt mind.

M1075

RE: Wheel Stud length for 5 ton with 1600

Stud length might depend on which HEMTT rims you use. Old or new style? Those new 2pc beadlocks are about 3/4" thick.

If you know you want a longer stud. Take a stud out and go to the local big rig shop and just tell them you need that size but how much longer on the threads. only $3-4 each. and save the hassle of shipping and such. they will most likely have the studs in stock.

m52a2

wheel stud length for 5 ton with 1600

Even if the studs are too short on the front hubs they do not need to be replaced! to install the thickest 1600 rims that overlap the inner and outer halves at the hub, wire brush the threads of the front studs right up against the hub where the nut has never reached to remove any rust, then screw on TIGHT the inner stud nuts removed from the inner set of duals in the rear. Now the front studs are long enough for those doubled up 1600 rims ! If your rims are like mine they still tighten up against the hub. you will be short a few nuts, enough for one axle, but it's a lot easier to buy nuts, than to install studs. Just in case I ever have the inner nut loosen up along with the outer when removing the rims I put the lug wrench in my trucks tool box that is designed to remove the outer nut without the inner nut also loosening, as is designed for use on the dual wheels. I've used this method on my m52a2 and driven several thousand miles on highway and some off road on loging trails with over 18,000 lbs on the front axle without any loosening of inner or outer. Those big studs look good too on those front wheels :wink: