• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When the Dead walk again

STSCSS

Besides the attack of the walking dead. What parts would you have as spares for your M-37 in case of a emergency/ long road trip?

pwrwagonfire

Spare rear axle shafts, radiator hose, couple spare plug wires and plugs, good spare tire, 5 gallons of extra gas

This is what we carry on our Power wagon fire trucks at work, along with a full set of tools and a good jack and pry bar

Last edited:

L999here

...a list...?

How about a list of SS members who are 20-30 mi. either side of your planned route...? I'd rather depend on some like-minded kindred souls that will be able to provide moral support,tech assistance and maybe a ride...if needed. Of course,it also makes sense to be prepared for minor mechanical repairs...tools are the best thing to prevent a break-down. Seems every time I have a mechanical problem,I've left my tool bag at home....LOL....

STSCSS

So far here is the list of must haves for your M-37
Spare rear axle shafts,
Radiator hose, fan belt
Couple spare plug wires and plugs, a short length of wire and electrical tape
Points, condenser, coil
Good spare tire,
Fuel pump.
Starter
1 quart of brake fluid
Water container
5 gallons of extra gas
A full tool set (M37 tools) ( I have always discovered that my toolbag gets stuff borrowed out of it by my family. )
TM 98030
A list of SS members who are 20-30 mi. either side of your planned route.

majorhitt

That sounds like a good list. Most of it fits in the two cargo conpartments on the bed. A tool box painted to match the M37 sounds like a great place to keep the tools.

STSCSS

Has anybody seen what type of flashlight or was the 24 volt reel light somewhat common on the 37?
Personally I go for LED lighting but what was correct got the 1950's?

Kasper31

Don't forget the tire jack / tube repair kit.
Yes,,,,, it is very hard to repair an air leak with the type of rims we have on the 37's,, however one can never know what you will need on a trip. Looks like there is a good list allready. Do you have a winch? OR, a method of getting your 37 out of a situation?
Good luck and enjoy the trip.:p:p

colbanister

How about a list of SS members who are 20-30 mi. either side of your planned route...? I'd rather depend on some like-minded kindred souls that will be able to provide moral support,tech assistance and maybe a ride...if needed. Of course,it also makes sense to be prepared for minor mechanical repairs...tools are the best thing to prevent a break-down. Seems every time I have a mechanical problem,I've left my tool bag at home....LOL....
I think this is the best idea of all:wink:

m376x6

Have you checked the fluid levels in the gear boxes to include the tranny. xfer, front and rear diffs? If the truck has not been driven regularly I would take a filter and oil to change it out prior to driving it any distance. Check the level in the radiator and what condition it's in. If it hasn't been driven or started in awhile, once I get the oil changed I would start it and let it idle and rev it lightly for a good twenty minutes or so then slowly drive it around to loosen everything up before heading out on the road. The brake system was single cylinder master so if any hose at any wheel gave out you'll lose brakes. You can stop the truck if your parking brake is working okay. Again, depending on how long it has sat, you also might want to consider pulling the drain plug at the back of the gas tank before you add any gas to drain out any water that has accumulated. As long as the truck is level or slightly headed up hill the water and any gunk will drain out first. Just in case you head by here on your way I'm just West of Denver in the mountains near Idaho Springs and can lend a hand if needed. ;-) Best of luck.

Regards,
M376X6

A

A/C Cages

I would bring along a couple extra {Phils} In case you are wondering what a Phil is, He is my mechanic who knows everything about everything when it comes to offroad trucks.

His shop is a great place to visit, parts and tools everywhere.

We all know that Phil also has all the Beer for a lifetime supplied at his shop too. Cant go without all that beer can we? lol

colbanister

I would bring along a couple extra {Phils} In case you are wondering what a Phil is, He is my mechanic who knows everything about everything when it comes to offroad trucks.

His shop is a great place to visit, parts and tools everywhere.

We all know that Phil also has all the Beer for a lifetime supplied at his shop too. Cant go without all that beer can we? lol

LOL..............I think I know a few Phils............LOLrofl

STSCSS

The trip is going to be out to Iola this summer I dont want to trailer queen boat so there will be a bit of planning.
May be planning a convoy from Rochester MN as it gets closer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks