• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can i find a manual flywheel?

us74k5

I am going to be swapping an sm465 into my cucv as soon as i get back from afghanistan. So far i have everything out of an 86 civvy blazer sitting at the house, except for a flywheel. I have been searching online, but I am not sure which one to get. Can any of you send me a link, or tell me where to find a flywheel that will work with an sm465 in my 86 cucv? Thanks.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi us74k5!,popacom / BILL in Ky. here. I am in the process of putting a 6.2 HUMMWV motor in my M-561 Gama Goat and was faced with the same issue, I looked at the local wrecking yards but the 6.2 was not a real popular civy motor due to early reliability issues that the military weeded out during their use in the CUCV and HUMMWV programs. I found the best route to ensure the right flywheel is obtained is to buy it NEW from one of the many national auto parts dealers. I got mine
from "O'Reilys auto parts. Hope this saves you some time and effort, because if you get the wrong flywheel the inbalance sitrep can be a real no-no. Good luck and be safe till ya get back home man!

Thanks popacom / BILL in Ky. KI4QQB :mrgreen:

P.S. I called for a flywheel for an 84- Chevy Suburban W/6.2 this was the one G.M. parts guy quoted me as being correct.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one from a 1990 6.2. Send me a PM when you get home and we will get you fixed up. Stay safe. And thanks for defending us!

davo727

I had two like new 1992 6.5 flywheels laying around so I bolted one up for my 465 swap, - I got sidetracked, will be a few more weeks before I run it to see if it works or if it goes nuclear.

Edit; It is a solid flywheel, You def dont want one of the later 6.5 dual mass flywheels.

Last edited: