• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can my M818 go on stock NDT's?

Makincold

So, here I am waiting on m EUC to clear... and my mind is thinking af about a billion questions about my new toy... (M818, with winch, stock NDT'd for now)

So today’s question is how capable is this truck as far as where to "go" and not "go" with it? A wet field? Will I sink this heavy beast or will my 6x6 pull me through? Can I ford a soft bottom creek? Climb a hill (I did find some reference to a 60% grade here...)
I know if I get this beast stuck, it will be no fun to get out, so where do I stay away from so as not to get in this situation?

Also i have a winch :D, can I self rescue with this or is it simply to rescue less fortunate souls?

Just trying to learn all I can before she gets here!

Thanks

hklvette

Generally, you will find it's a "trial and error" kinda thing.
This. The NDTs pretty much suck in everything compared to replacement tires (michelin XL, XZL, etc.) I don't remember the TM, but I'm sure someone will bring up the one about properly winching. Always remember, you may be able to pull other things out with ease, but there are few things that can do the same for you.

my 2cents

Makincold

Thats all what I was afriad of...
I want 1400X20s on HEMTT rims, but that wont be in the budget for a while, trying to stay out of trouble in the meantime...
But hey... I gota actually get the truck home first :wink:

Flyingvan911

Go slow on ground you aren't certain about. If you start to get stuck, stop and back out. If the wheels start to spin, stop so you don't bury yourself deeper. Remember, the tires do a little bit better on soft ground if you let some air out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think most of those guys REALLY know what the trucks are capable of. I have 395 XZLs on my truck and I have seen trucks with NDTs go the same places. Air pressure is way more important when you run NDTs but I think they get a bad rap. I have seen many trucks wheeled with NDTs and don't think they are THAT bad. Just MHO.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can get anything stuck if you work at it......if you get too deep you will tear out the fuel crossover lines (ask me how I know) and other stuff hanging down underneath.

As BDM said the prob is no weight on the 5th wheel to give you traction if you are bob tailing.

These trucks are tough but they are not made for constant 4 wheeling...they are made to go through rough terrain with a load on at a slow speed while being driven by young inexperienced drivers.

These trucks (for the most part) were not line haul trucks...they pulled HQ and commo vans and other support type
trailers.

I keep mine out of the mud for the most part. I also hate washing them....been there...done that..got the t-shirt.

Makincold

Love the Youtube vid! Hadn't found that one yet, but I also like your description of the truck wreckerman...
"they are made to go through rough terrain with a load on at a slow speed while being driven by young inexperienced drivers"
And I don't like washing them either!
I wish I was going to have this thing for the GA rally :-(
Guess the M274 will have to do in the meantime
Thanks for all the replies guys
Till I have more questions....

jwaller

also remember you have about 4-5k lb on each front tire. so unless it is some really hard ground those skinny ndt's will do nothing but sink up to the diff as soon as it gets soft.