• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where did my oil go?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just started my first oil change.

Oil level when bought and after some idling and colling down shows a bit above minimum. No danger, just this level "maybe next week or so I should add some".

Drained the oil as prescribed, after some idling and cooling down a bit. Only about 5 liters came out inlcuding all spilling and the oil filters!!!

This is normal or ???

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multifuel LSD 465 A1 from 1973.

It was idling for about 20 minutes to heat the oil and also to check some things with the dump unit.

The engine area looks oiled, maybe from a sealing of the drive shaft, have to check. Did not check fter idling and before the oil drain ( I know, I should have). Mind you, looks the engine area is soiled from long use, The leakage onto the floor beneath the engine is neglectible

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You are supposed to check the oil level 60 seconds after you shut off the motor. You keep screwing me up with the metric system! haha. One gallon is 3.785liters. You said the level was "a little above minimum". Maybe thats all you had in it. I do not recommend running it that low in the future.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To drain all of the oil, You need to remove 2 drain plugs, one in the front sump, and one in the rear sump. There is a high point between them(above the front axle).

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To drain all of the oil, You need to remove 2 drain plugs, one in the front sump, and one in the rear sump. There is a high point between them (above the front axle).
:oops::oops: Eee, I only drained the big crankcase sump behind the front differential. That might explain a lot