• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where is the correct antenna tie down point?

edpdx

As you may have read in my recent thread, I have added an antenna mount to the rear driver side of my M1009 Blazer. The antenna whip needs to be tied forward; but I can't find an obvious tie out for the tie down cord.

The bumper seems too far forward. Anyone know the "right" place or have a better solution?

mistaken1

I kept my big antenna on the front so that it would tie down to the rear so that it could pass under tree branches without snagging. Not off road tree branches but the ones that hang down over the roadways.

I have been driving down residential streets where a car coming the other way forced me to stay to the right only to whack a branch that I was not aware of. I would hate to think what would have happened if I had a forward facing antenna.

I would think you would want to be able to see the tip of it while driving to make sure it is going to clear things. If you tie it down low does it interfere with access to the driver's door? How low can you get it an still use the door?

edpdx

Mistaken1, you are mistaken... couldn't resist. The antenna, when pulled down does not interfere with the door whatsoever. I had the antenna on my M1008 knock off and had it in the same location. When I went through low trees or narrow trails it was easy for me to pull the cable to lower the tip and navigate through the snags. I just prefer it forward facing- the rear facing seem to hang to far from the footprint of the vehicle for my taste.

Wrex, I'll check the brush guard and see if it works. I'll try to get some pics up for a poll if agas.

jholler

Mine's mounted far back, passenger side. I have it tied off to the brush guard with braided 550 cord, and even when I do hit a low limb in my driveway, the limb gives 1st.

cucv1833

Mine's mounted far back, passenger side. I have it tied off to the brush guard with braided 550 cord, and even when I do hit a low limb in my driveway, the limb gives 1st.
jholler,

Mines the same way no problems. Its pretty simple if im going in the woods i fold the antenna all the way over. if im on the open road i slack the 550 cord off.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks