• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where the H#@ is this oil coming from

panzerjunky

Got my Deuce last week very nice shape for its age no rust good paint motor looks almost new. I will Post pics as soon as I can delete some of my wife's puppys, kitten's bunnys and butterfly pics off the camera to make some room for guy stuff.

Any way when I got it no leaks at all totaly clean nothing dripping. Ran her about 100 miles today speeds ranged between 62 to 64 @ 2500 rpm on flats or downhill wind with me to lowest 35 on a good grade ran beautifully. got home seen quite a bunch of oil on the passenger side of the front diff looks to be coming from the hose that hooks to what I would call a pcv valve the little device that hooks between the 2 valve cover halves is this supposed to leak or do I have issues here. Next there are fuel lines under the stearing gear that are covered in what looks like fuel but the stearing gear is also covered looks to be coming from or around the base of the air compressor cant see to well will check tomorrow as I am loosing daylight. Last thing the exahust stack was pointed almost forward would incoming air goof stuff up i have now turned it to aprox 45 deg off from straight back.
Any ideas
Thanks Jerry

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tube is the road draft tube. What size tires does the truck have? 62 to 65 at 2500 doesn't jive with stock tires. Mine will blow oil out of the draft tube when running at the top of the RPM range.

panzerjunky

Oil all over

That tube is the road draft tube. What size tires does the truck have? 62 to 65 at 2500 doesn't jive with stock tires. Mine will blow oil out of the draft tube when running at the top of the RPM range.
Hello and thanks for the reply
it has std military NDT and i was getting 62 to 64 mph at 25 to 2600 RPM I didnt feel I was pushing it infact on downhills i had to hold it back a bit. But are you saying that I should run slower speed lower RPM.
Thanks Jerry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you are going by your speedo, you could have a wrong adapter on the Tcase. It has happened before, just ask Stretch.

panzerjunky

OIL all over

I was going by the spedo and the tac not trying to let the RPM get to much over 2500 tomorrow i will have the wife pace me in her car and se where the spedo falls. What should the tac say at 62 mph
Thanks Jerry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
2500rpm gets me 50 according to my speedo(m109). I just picked up a gps unit, so I have yet to verify the speeds. My cargo deuce has non-stock tires, so the gps will be my speedo for that truck.

kurtkds

My Deuce was exactly like that when I got it too. Checked with GPS and sure enough, the speedo was off.

Upon inspection found that I had the speedo adapter for 11.00 X 20 tires and I have 9.00 X 20's. I changed the adapter, now everything is all good.

panzerjunky

My Deuce was exactly like that when I got it too. Checked with GPS and sure enough, the speedo was off.

Upon inspection found that I had the speedo adapter for 11.00 X 20 tires and I have 9.00 X 20's. I changed the adapter, now everything is all good.
OK well now we have a direction to go are there markings on the spedo adapter so I can see if I have the right one?
Thanks Jerry

panzerjunky

Oil all over

Also
Which gauge is giving me the bad read the tac or the spedo if I am in a pinch and cant find the part can I just keep it at 55 or 2000 RPM what ever is recomended. I just hate oil all over the place.
Thanks Jerry

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil is from piston "blowby" and comes from the fumes in the crankcase, It will be more when engine is running cold, but you'll always have some.
You can extend the breather tube with a short length of hose or add a crankcase breather filter.

An incorrect speedo adapter (located on the transfer case) will give you about 7% higher readings. That is, if you use one calibrated for 1100-20 tires instead of what you should have for 900s.
The instruments are mechanical and should be very accurate.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mihe puffs a little oil vapor there when hot and idling.. will make a mess on the highway. it's not anything unusual on these. I consume about 1 quart per 1000 miles, most of that is from a small leak at the ront of the engine.