• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to buy canvas?

oddshot

I searched this forum and couldn't find any info ...

and I checked the manuals ... and couldn't find nothing ...

Does anybody in this MV community sell canvas? Just plain green canvas to make stuff out of ... like seat covers and etc?

I could go on the 'net and find it ... but I would rather deal with somebody in the community if I could. If not ... I'm open to ideas.

I have a couple cushy MGB seats I want to put in my Deuce. I guess I could just go buy some surplus shelter halves and cut them up ... but I kinda want them to look ... at least OK.

Thanks

oddshot

Last edited:

x-ray

To recover seats, I have used military-colored Cordura nylon fabric. Although not as classic as canvas, it seems to hold up pretty well. Definitely a little more moisture resistant. You can find it in the military greens and coyote brown on eBay in small quantities for reasonable prices - usually overruns or scraps of larger pieces, but enough to do seats and the like.

oddshot

You can buy them premade and ready to install from JATONKA at www.jatonkam35s.com
I have seen them and they look great!
RL
He don't have the ones to fit my application.

This is sort of a custom job.

Shelter halfs are pretty tough ... and REAL green ... and only about $10 or $11 per each.

I should be able to get one full seat (bottom and back) out of one of them. Also there is a place in NoGa down in Cumming that stocks them.

I wonder what the dimensions of one are?

oddshot

3dAngus

I bought c anvas tent halves on ebay last month at $3 each. Very good condition to excellent. Came with the tent pegs too. He said he had plenty.

oddshot

I bought c anvas tent halves on ebay last month at $3 each. Very good condition to excellent. Came with the tent pegs too. He said he had plenty.
Do you recall what the postage cost was?

Its been about 40 years since a carried one of them for any distance (Fort Jackson, SC, Summer. 1970).

I seem to remember they were kinda heavy.

It might be cheaper just to drive over to Cumming and pick up about four of them.

If they are too heavy ... I could just get my wife to carry them to the truck!:grin:

oddshot

oddshot

Of course ... if them was WOODEN tent pegs ... they would be useful against vampires. I don't know if they would do any good with brain -eatin' zombies though ...

And it them pegs were aluminum ... they would be good to anchor my "lawn deer" at Christmas. The dirt in NoGa is tough on plastic anchors!:shock:

oddshot

ranchhopper

Go down to your local menards and get a green tarp they look to be made of a cotton duck material they are real close to OD in color and make great material for seat covers,101 and 105 covers I even had a generator cover made from one for my 10 KW generator.

jhooah

I'm partial to OD Green Nylon Parachute matierial. Really easy to sew, and rip stop to boot. Nothing like the feel of it on naked skin...
Of course only Airborne folk may understand.
V/R W. Winget