• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to check the brake fluid ??

fredrader

Hi All,It looks like my master cylinder is leaking some and it looks like it's leaking from where the brake push rod goes into the front where the rubber boot is..I want to check the fluid but the place I would think is where I should check the fluid has what looks like a brake line attached to it..How do I go about checking the fluid ???

Desert Rat

Fred,

That line is a breather line for taking the truck for a swim in a pond or mud hole. You need a 5/16 open end to remove it and then you can open up the master to check fluid level.

SixBuy

Fred, Just went down that road yesterday! It's a SOB to get to. The hole in the cross member is directly above the filler cap. The breather line on mine took a 3/8 flare nut wrench to loosen the nut on the line. Leave the rt. angle fitting on the cap. The cap has a square 13/16 head under the fitting. I tried every combination of 12 pt socket in and around 13/16 and 21-22 mm.
Problem is the corners were slightly rounded. Finally got it loose with a small crescent and a big pry bay! Really needs a 13/16 four corner socket. Thought I'd check with some of the auto tool houses for specialty tools or see if there is a square tubing size that would fit it It would be a snap if you could get a socket thru the hole! Don't loose the ring gasket under the cap.

My dash has a placard that says "TACOM approved master clyinder installed" I wonder how that is any different?

Hope this helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
13/16 square is the same size as the budd lugs. My masters use a 3/4" wrench to open. Ger yer lug wrench out!

fredrader

Hi All,I checked mine yesterday and it took a 3/8 and a 3/4 to do the job...I spent $20 for a quart of Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid :freaked: And was not happy with that but I had to have it..It was just a couple ounces low though..I will be replacing my 3 lever switch and my brake light pressure switch soon and I will have to bleed the whole system and adjust all my brakes..

Loose Deuce

Ok forgot to mention about the Russel automatic bleaders too, they are handy bleading the system by your self. Most of the guys on here knows about them, theres a topic some where about these sorta things in the archives or the old forum and thats what got me to try them. I dont know what the negetive issues would be with them but I like mine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don Bagwell of Spruce Mtn is a member here. As far as the speed bleeders I've even got them on my semi trailer. They work great. I've bought all mine on Ebay. Just so you know the threads are 7/16x20.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks