• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to connect 4L80 controller power supply

Felix Rufus

Heidi, my m1008 just received a 4l80e transplant. I'm looking for the best place to connect the ignition power supply to my compushift, tach, etc. I also intend to upgrade the dash with an array of electronic guages all of which need power when ignition is on. I'm capable of installing a new relay to increase the load for the additional toys, just need to find the best place to tap into power (without overloading a circuit) when the key is on but not when key is off. I tried the solenoid on the firewall, but that must be the glow plug solenoid. It's fun but not for long enough to get far.

Felix Rufus

Heidi, my m1008 just received a 4l80e transplant. I'm looking for the best place to connect the ignition power supply to my compushift, tach, etc. I also intend to upgrade the dash with an array of electronic guages all of which need power when ignition is on. I'm capable of installing a new relay to increase the load for the additional toys, just need to find the best place to tap into power (without overloading a circuit) when the key is on but not when key is off. I tried the solenoid on the firewall, but that must be the glow plug solenoid. It's fun but not for long enough to get far.
Well Felix, maybe you could use the purple and white wire that comes from the ignition switch. I wonder if you could splice into that at the bottom of the column; use that to power a solenoid supplying ample power to the new transmission controller and electronic guages. I wonder if that wire is the best choice, or why it has slightly low voltage at the glow plug solenoid. I bet you wish you brought your manual way out here away from the truck, but then you would need it there and it would be here. No worries, I'm sure one of us will figure this out in the 30 minutes each month we have to play with Heidi. Good luck, let me know how it goes! Felix