• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get ubolt for mounting the M-66 legs to the cab?

ida34

I now have everything except the ubolts to get this thing mounted. I plan on calling around later today but if anyone has gotten them lately can you point me in the right direction.

Greg,
Am I remembering right that you said try White Owl?

Thanks
Chuck

mangus580

RE: Where to get ubolt for mounting the M-66 legs to the cab

Hmmm.... I seem to remember someone asking this real recently... (although it may have been for the convoy lights - which use the same posts)

Try Sam Winer, or Adlemans is the result I recall.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I think it was my post that said I am looking for the bolts they are a strange not home depot friendly size and I have not found them but am getting ready to make them if need be. What else is a torch and a welder for anyway.

ida34

My truck was set up for both a ring mount based on the cab reinforcement and the warning lights based on the switch and wiring. I had bolt in the cab consistent with he ones used to mount the m-66 to the legs and the ubolts were cut with a grinder instead of removing them properly. I was going to weld them back together but I had heard they are different. Gary got some and they looked like beefy muffler clamp style ubolts. The ones on my truck are flattened in the middle at the bend. I assume this was to provide more surface area to hold onto the pole but I want to make sure these are the right ones for the ring mount. Based on the weight involved I do not want to make a mistake and have it come crashing through my new cab canvas. I need to get the ubolt pieces off my cab to check them out and see if I can get them welded. I will still be one or two shy so I would still need to find a source. I too was going to make it out of round bar stock but Greg said they were cheap where he got them.

jwaller

I bought the 3/8 ones at home depot and then heated them and bent them so they would go thru the cab. but be warned they are not long enough to use straps over the cab I had to use washers and nuts to bolt it to the cab instead of straps over the posts. they would be easy to make if you use some 3/8 rods and bent them to shape and tapped your own threads on the ends. thats what I'm doing now for mine.

mangus580

For some reason I thought they were bigger than 3/8". BTW, the convoy lights didnt come with straps, just u-bolts, washers & nuts.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mine are 1/2 inch X 20 thread and stainless.

ida34

Will,
Were did you get yours. This sounds like what Greg got for his mount. He could not remember who he got them from. I think 1/2 sounds more like what should be used. The thead talked about above was about the convoy lights. I would think that they have a different clamp since they do not need to support as much weight or take as much stress when the M2 is fired. When I get my pieces off I am going to check the threads and measure to see what they are. I checked at Werner's and Whiteowl with no success.

Thanks
Chuck

readyman

Chuck,

One more thing.
It gets real scary sliding that ring around up there aligning the bolt holes. Get a piece of cardboard box and trace the ring holes and then muscle up the ring to the same postion.
I learned the hard way.

mangus580

BTW chuck, my convoy lights came with 1/2" ubolts too (knew they werent 3/8") I am under the impression, that the posts that clamp to the back of the cab for the convoy lights are the SAME exact ones as the gun ring legs.

readyman

Mike's right,
I just mike'd em at 1/2 inch.
My uprights have 1/4 inch nubs every couple inches to keep things from slipping down past the clamps. Without nubs, I'd put a 1/4 inch screw in the upright to keep it from sliding down.

jwaller

guess I'm going to be swapping my ubolts out. do any of you have pics of how the bolts come thru the cab and how they attach on the inside?

mangus580

Not right now, but I will try to get some this weekend (providing I remember)

greensix

I had truck spring shop make #8 ubolts in 1/2 for me. they can do any lenth or size for you with nuts. there is alot of weight and stress applied to them when truck in in motion.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Where to get ubolt for mounting the M-66 legs to the

ida34 said:
Will,
Were did you get yours. This sounds like what Greg got for his mount. He could not remember who he got them from. I think 1/2 sounds more like what should be used. The thead talked about above was about the convoy lights. I would think that they have a different clamp since they do not need to support as much weight or take as much stress when the M2 is fired. When I get my pieces off I am going to check the threads and measure to see what they are. I checked at Werner's and Whiteowl with no success.

Thanks
Chuck
Sorry, just got back to this thread. They were in the truck when I got it. Have you tried a place that makes/repairs leaf sptings? They can make any size u-bolt you need

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks