• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which hole?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do I use when towing a Deuce, with a Deuce/109A3? I believe it was stated to keep the bar as short as possible, so with a medium towbar what hole do you use/recommend? :wink:

My bar came without pins, so I bought grade 8 bolts to replace them and would like to set the length before I go to get my trucks.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It doesn't really matter. A little longer will help with leverage. Make sure the front tires are FULL of air, it will follow better.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do NOT use Grade 8 bolts. I have read in multiple places that bolts will damage the towbar and that you should use pins, available from your local Tractor Supply Company.

M1075

You got the right holes, but I would also suggest the 3/4" pins. BTW, I ordered 5 large boxes of tools & stuff from Tractor Supply over the internet, and I got it UPS in 2 days!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Which hole?

clinto said:
Do NOT use Grade 8 bolts. I have read in multiple places that bolts will damage the towbar and that you should use pins, available from your local Tractor Supply Company.
? How ?, as long as the shoulder of the bolt goes all the way through the bar, how will it damage the bar? The only pins I could find in town were grade 5, and stamped "made in India"......

chevycrew

RE: Re: RE: Which hole?

If the bolt is harder makeup than the bar, it will cause the wear to the bar and not to the bolt/pin. I really dont like using grade 8 bolts when it is encountering a side load. When a grade 5 bolt may bend, a grade 8 bolt will snap.

I would have no problem using the grade 5 pins.

There is not really any charts to show the actual shear strength of bolts, most just show tensile strength. But either a grade 5 or grade 8 will be overkill in this application.

emr

the bolts are fine, ive got alot of miles on one of my bars with bolts, its all in the shoulder like U say, obviuos.. its a pin with thread on the end, It states the use fine, short as possible, for strength, BUT as long as U wont pinch the bar, turning, Ive found one or 2 holes in mosttimes, i have never had em all they way in unless towing the M38, the deuce and 5 tonners need some swing room, U can ruin any of them weather in or out if U dont be carful... Randy

emr

the grade 8 bolts are way better then the 5 pins from the old ship grave yard steel from india, and like U said shoulder is the key, but be realistic, U will never use it enough to wear the bolts or pins out, the bolts keep it tighter so less slop butthere is so little anyway its not worth worring about, Randy

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks Randy, the 3/4 in ones in the legs have nylok nuts so they wont need to be real tight, no threads in the holes either....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks