• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which is better?

civicnar

I am looking at a bunch of 85-87 1008 and 1009's and I am wondering which ones would be the best for 4x4 stuff. Also I am assuming that they all have Dana 60 fronts and 14 rears. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

civicnar

I am wanting to create a crawl slash mud buggy. Will the ten bolt hold up to 44's and also do they make parts for them like everything else? It will never see the highway. Is it a 10 bolt front and rear?

civicnar

Sorry for so many posts but does this look like a d60 due to the axle sticking out or does a 10 bolt look the same???

mangus580

If it will never see the highway, dont waste your time with the 10 bolt axles..... They will never hold up to what you inted to do. 10 bolts were almost too weak for a plain truck.

civicnar

I just didn't know if they were like the dodge's where it protrudes out. But if it is larger than 6 lug it should be a D60 correct. I apologize again.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Which is better?

civicnar said:
I just didn't know if they were like the dodge's where it protrudes out. But if it is larger than 6 lug it should be a D60 correct. I apologize again.
They both have protruding "spindles" with manual locking hubs, but the D60 will be 8-lug and the 10-bolt 6 lug. There was a civilian 8-lug 10-bolt for 3/4 ton applications, but no CUCV used it. The D60 hub is about 4", while the 10-bolt is about 3". It is noticable. The D60 hub is almost as big as the center hole in the wheel, while the 10-bolt is necked down.

Towman2277

RE: Re: RE: Which is better?

I play alot in the mud with half-ton chevy frames with 60's up front and 14's in the rear, and they hold up to 44" TSL swampers and 4.88 gears, and redline AT 7000 RPM. The only thing we worry about when building these trucks with this setup is getting the correct pinion angle, chassis geometry, etc. with whatever lift we decide to run.

civicnar

RE: Re: RE: Which is better?

Well I am figuring just some tall leafs. Any helpful info on what pinion angle should be or any good write ups. I have read alot but I am a whore for knowledge :)